• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank questions

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I am replacing the fuel tank on my 66 Charger. I assume all 66 or 67 cars are the same. I got the old one drained today. I tried to siphon from the fuel neck but no dice. I ended up rigging a hose and siphoning from the fuel line to the pump. Had about 9 gallons of gas left in it.

IMG_20220424_110855869.jpg IMG_20220424_103828943_HDR.jpg

I heard stories of the sending units not being bent correctly to reach the bottom of the tank. I tweaked mine a little so the end of the sock is just touching the bottom of the tank. It goes in at about a 30 degree angle, so the sock is not parallel to the bottom of the tank. I also found that the float was not parallel to the pickup tube and it sat about a half inch high at its lower stop. I bent the arm so it is just shy of touching the pick up tube when sitting on the lower stop. Does this sound correct?

IMG_20220418_150514862_HDR.jpg IMG_20220424_102336517.jpg

They are all the same, but some of the new ones have a different internal venting pipe, which can make it difficult to fill properly.

I was assessing what I will need once I the remove the old tank. Looks like I will need a new rubber elbow for the filler neck, a new grommet where the filler enters the tank, and a new hose for the vent tube. I really can't see the vent tube connection. Is it a straight hose or an elbow? The pipe appears to go through the rear frame. I have heard some of the aftermarket rubber is poor quality. What is the best place to get these parts from?

Gates sells the large elbow but you'll need to give ID of elbow.

Thanks guys. That one seal is unavailable. I will have to see what I can get. I will have to check the sizes for the gates hoses.

Not too worried about the gasket and lock ring for the sender. I may be able to reuse the original, but the tank came with one and so did the sender.
I am still wondering what kind of hose goes on the vent line. I can't see it above the filler tube.

I looked around and Van's Auto had both the grommet and three piece hose kit I needed in stock. There is the large filler hose and two small 90 degree vent hoses. The shipping wasn't too bad to Canada. Now I wait, but I have lots of other stuff to do. Hopefully the parts are good quality.

I got my hoses from Van's today, and if weight is any indication they should be good quality. Anybody know how you are supposed to tighten those stock clamps they include? Looks like they need a special set of crimping pliers. I think I will just get some regular worm style hose clamps.

I just used some big end cutters on the crimp clamps put some gorilla tape on the ends so they don't cut. Remember that they don't really need to hold any pressure.

Thanks Don I'll have to rummage through my tool box and see what I have that might work.

A few things to make life easier.
1. Before you install the tank, rig up the sending unit and test the range of your sender to the garage. More than likely the ohms from the sender will be off....and you may need a MeterMatch to get it going
2. Prior to installing the tank....get the filler tube into the big grommet. It's literally impossible to do this while its in the car.
3. Check the seal for the sending unit prior to installing into car. This can be done with a gallon of gas, tilted at an angle....overnight.......slow drips ect.
4. Make sure you have a good thick pad for the top of the tank to protect against vibrations. If the old one looks ok, use it.
5. PM me.....If you need more info.

I worked on getting the gas tank out today. You can see the dent in the bottom, I figure someone crunched it with a floor jack.

IMG_20220508_094519200.jpg IMG_20220508_094539597.jpg

Tank came out. The felt pad stayed stuck to the floor. You can see to number 66 on it

IMG_20220508_102753294.jpg IMG_20220508_102843086.jpg

I figured out why my gas gauge didn't work. The float was missing. The sender cleaned up pretty well and the windings are in great shape. I will try and reuse it. I will pull the float off my new sender. I don't know if I can get the stainer off the new one and put it on the original sender?

IMG_20220508_110152177.jpg IMG_20220508_120831829.jpg IMG_20220508_111313407.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back