• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Tank Removal

Dan The Man

Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
69 Charger. Need to remove it and hear it is a pain because of the fill tube?? Any tips would be helpful.

its not that bad,just drain the tank and remove straps. You might have to twist back and forth while pulling it downward.

What Dave said or.... there should be just enough room to twist it out of the grommet once the 3 screws are removed under the flip cap. Disconnect the short vent hose first. Once the fill tube is removed its pretty easy to remove the 2 straps. If your J bolts are good and want to reuse them, wire wheel them. I bought an aftermarket J bolt kit and during installation the nuts were so tight it distorted the bolt.

If you can try to squeeze a WD40 straw in there and give it a spray around the grommet. Then let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. That's what I had to do to my wife's 65 Belvedere wagon. It was tough but it finally broke free.

Use an electric pump to empty out the tank, make sure to cap off the line on the tank when done bc even though it seems empty, it won't be completely. The only real problem is if your tailpipes are too close to it, makes getting it out difficult.

I drove mine around til I had only a couple gallons left in the tank at most, removed the fill tube while sitting in the trunk, loosened the two straps, used a transmission jack to keep the tank level, disconnected lines at sending unit, lowered tank straight down, even with duals it dropped easily. Removed sending unit and drained it through that opening. New tank was a relatively easy install & lightly coated the fill tube grommet with petroleum jelly.

a harbor freight atv jack, plywood, and moving blankets from HF should do the trick.

but first drive down the gas

watermelon

Be careful. Disconnect your battery before doing anything with the tank, and sending unit. Use some Seafoam Deep Creep on the grommet, works way better in my opinion. Pump the gas out as much as you can. Just loosen the J bolts enough to get them off the frame support the tank with jack and a 2/4....just enough to keep it pinned up until you've gotten the grommet to slide.....lower and guide it down. Tank is less than 25 lbs.

Be careful. Disconnect your battery before doing anything with the tank, and sending unit. Use some Seafoam Deep Creep on the grommet, works way better in my opinion. Pump the gas out as much as you can. Just loosen the J bolts enough to get them off the frame support the tank with jack and a 2/4....just enough to keep it pinned up until you've gotten the grommet to slide.....lower and guide it down. Tank is less than 25 lbs.
Should I remove the 3 screws at the gas cap first before anything else?

Auto Transport Service
Back