• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank rubber problem.

Speedbird

Bird of Pray
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
I had to pull the new tank and lines from the 67 Charger to access the new fuel sender for calibration.
We replaced the tank, lines and sender before starting on the car a little over 4 years ago.

The problem is that the "new" rubber hoses are 4 years old and all three elbow pieces have severe cracks in the OUTER rubber .
The inner rubber is fine.

The other problem is that I'm not sure where we bought the elbow set on the net.
Obviously, I don't want to buy another set there.
Has anyone replaced these three elbow pieces within the last few years and not had this problem?
What would be a good source then?

By the way, since the tank is out I'm thinking to upgrade the tank to stainless.
It looks like Classic is the only source for that?

All rubber lines in our fuel systems need to be constructed of the "modern" compositions for use with
todays' fuels (i.e., ethanol blends). The old school rubber lines we've always used are literally eaten by these
crappy fuels of today and it happens alarmingly quickly.
If you buy only fuel lines expressly approved for use with fuel injection systems, that will do the trick.
I learned this one the hard way.

All rubber lines in our fuel systems need to be constructed of the "modern" compositions for use with
todays' fuels (i.e., ethanol blends). The old school rubber lines we've always used are literally eaten by these
crappy fuels of today and it happens alarmingly quickly.
If you buy only fuel lines expressly approved for use with fuel injection systems, that will do the trick.
I learned this one the hard way.

Wow.
It ate the outside up but not the inside?:)
I expected to at least get the car the street before I had to replace the fill lines.

Wow.
It ate the outside up but not the inside?:)
I expected to at least get the car the street before I had to replace the fill lines.
Ironically, it ate my new rubber lines before my own car was officially back on the road as well.
What you're probably seeing is the separation of the inner and outer casings.

Apparently there are 3 types of tanks available.
I suspect we bought a zinc plated one about 4 years ago when we started building the car.
I haven't fitted the stainless one into the car yet.
And probably won't until we are ready to calibrate the fuel sending unit to the new gauges.
But I would definitely recommend the stainless one from Vans for the reason shown.
We had to put an extension on the fill vent.
I still can't believe the outer rubber on the "new" fuel fill lines we put in with the zinc tank are cracked in the manner one would expect from aged rubber.
I bought new rubber from Vans along with the stainless tank.

20180929_174451.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back