• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel tank, sending unit seating

greenmachine

Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
Evening guys,

Was tinkering around with my new spectra fuel tank and 3/8 sending unit. I have sending unit seated and flush with tank. As far as I know I have installed everything correctly; (rubber seal between sending unit and tank opening, then lock ring). I was careful to make sure I had rubber showing around the perimeter of the sending unit for equal distribution of pressure from the lock ring and no pinched rubber. problem is I feel like the lock ring should be locking down tighter. The three ridges in the lock ring match up and lock in with the three ridges on the tank receiving tines. I just think there should be a tighter seal. I have the opposite end of the tank up against the wall and with a moderate amount of pressure can move the lock ring. Never done this install before, but would rather fix it now than after the car is together and draining fuel on the ground. I included a picture. thanks guys.

Erik

Attachments

• tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 307
once you have sender and lock ring installed get a hammer and a punch or similiar and give the 3 tabs a nice knock in to tighten it,

if you dont think it is tight enough.pull it apart and slightly bend the lock ring with a cresent wrench.i do meen slightly,easy to over do it.

I think they do make a toll just for this job. I did just use a punch also to tighten it a bit more moving to another tab after each little tap to keep it even.

If you have the time you might want to plug the lines and pour a gallon or so of gas into the tank (alcohol would be even better/safer) and lean the tank up against something outside with the sending unit assembly at the bottom, let it sit for awhile and see if it's going to leak. A lot better than re-installing the tank in the car and then finding out that it leaks when it's full of gas.

Thanks guys, did the gentle adjustment with a hammer and punch. Doing block off and half gallon test tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back