• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank vent lines

104thLRSD

Local time
5:33 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am looking for some expert knowledge. I have a 68 GTX. Did every B body in 68 have one of the vent lines route through the trunk? Mine are missing. From what I can tell the tank has been replaced. I have no holes in the trunk where the longer line would pass. So I am assuming the trunk pan was also replaced. However there is a clip on the inside passenger side wheel well telling me that it should be there. Does anyone have any pics or ideas of how I can drill these holes in the correct position?

C8B4E9DF-863F-430A-B539-76AC84905DFE.jpeg AF4E935C-41B8-423D-AD74-DF7EAE68FED8.jpeg

beerestoration2018 295.JPG
beerestoration2018 296.JPG
beerestoration2018 297.JPG
beerestoration2018 298.JPG

Get the tube and it'll point to the right location. The idea is that it drips into the frame rail so any fuel has time to evaporate before it finds a tooling hole to pour out.

Just be sure to confirm your in tank vent tubes before hooking the vent tubes up. One tank line goes all the way to the filler end of the tank. This line gets hooked to the short line that goes up into the shock attach bulkhead. The other tank line is short and goes just inside the tank, this is the line that goes up into the trunk. Lots of repro tanks have the lines backwards and if you hook them up based on stock you'll have fuel pissing out of that shock bulkhead vent all of the time when over 3/4 of a tank.

Can you see those in tank lines by taking the filler tube out, or should I drop the tank?
And the longer line, should it go through the hole on the drivers side of the shock support bracket? As im looking at it now , it seems that corresponds with your pic.

Is there another way to check the vent tubes on tank? I have no vent line that runs up the filler tube

They don't run up the filler neck, one runs up to that end of the tank...

A good focusing mag light should allow you to look in the filler tube and determine which tube is which..
beerestoration2018 161.JPG
beerestoration2018 162.JPG
beerestoration2018 163.JPG

Yes, Thank you! There's a few of us at the same point in our restorations right now and
your pic's and explanations help!

Just be sure to confirm your in tank vent tubes before hooking the vent tubes up. One tank line goes all the way to the filler end of the tank. This line gets hooked to the short line that goes up into the shock attach bulkhead. The other tank line is short and goes just inside the tank, this is the line that goes up into the trunk. Lots of repro tanks have the lines backwards and if you hook them up based on stock you'll have fuel pissing out of that shock bulkhead vent all of the time when over 3/4 of a tank.

Can either of these 2 vent tubes be used as a return line?

Can either of these 2 vent tubes be used as a return line?
I guess you could steal the short tube that is normally run up into the trunk and back out. This would at least leave the long vent tube for when the tank is being filled right up... or you could just get the proper sender with a return spigot on it....

Auto Transport Service
Back