• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tube and Grommet issue...Need HELP!

66plysat

Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
I'm changing my older custom tank to a stock tank and NOS sending unit on my 66 Satellite. I can't figure how to insert the fill tube into the grommet then into the tank. I installed the grommet into the tank then tried to insert the filler tube, won't go. I tried to put the grommet on the tube the force it into the hole in the tank, won't go. I siliconed the grommet and the tube and the hole of the tank to help things, didn't help.

Is there a secret to putting the tube, grommet and hole together? HELP, please!

IMG_2826.jpeg

The grommet goes in the tank, the tube pushes in. Silicone grease for sure.
Sounds like 1 or 2 of the 3 aren't oem size.

If it's an after market fill tube that maybe a/the problem. A few guys have complained about them. You could put a WTB ad if lubing your part does work. Dish soap works also.

I can't tell which grommet you are using, from the picture. There are two styles that will work. Most of the ones that are sold now are what I call the double seal. The originals were what I call a single seal and were reproduced at one time, and may still be. The original style is easier to install, but more prone to leak if everything is not lined up correctly. If either were easy to go in they would probably leak. Use plenty of lubricant like WD40 on both the grommet and the tube. When it goes in, it's even harder to pull out if you go to far. The freshness of the grommet makes a difference also as they get hard with age. Best of luck.

Yes, I used WD40 to get mine together. I may have also used some silicone grease on another one.

I had this problem on my 64 Fury. Finally, after careful measuring and comparing with the old grommet, I determined that the new grommet I bought off of Ebay was made too thick. Apparently some of these "no name" Ebay parts are just made wrong. I got a different grommet, and was able to assemble it with no problem. I think the last grommet I bought, which worked came from DMT. (IIRC)

@66plysat, Here is my thread on what I had to do on my 64 Fury. - With that, I do NOT recommend the Inline Tube grommet that I used on the 64 to go in a 66/67 style tank. I tried one on my 67 Coronet, and after a week it started leaking badly. The way the 66/67 tanks are made, the filler grommet is down low, and stays immersed in gasoline, unlike the 64 which has the filler tube at the top of the tank. Apparently the rubber composition was unable to handle staying immersed, and it softened and leaked. I replaced the Inline Tube grommet in the 67 with one from DMT, and it has been holding fine.

New fuel tank and filler tube. The grommet is TOO tight to insert the tube!

I highly recommend installing the tube prior to installing tank.....just twist it down a bit and adjust it when strapped in. You will find it impossible to get that neck into the hole under the car. Lube....or no lube. WD 40 is great for a bit of lube that will wash out into the tank. Hit me up in PM is more info is needed.

I've read several recommendations for the grommet from DMT, so I ordered one. Hopefully with the new grommet and some lube it will fit. I'll let you know. Thanks for all the comments. (but I don't think I'll be eating more spinach).

I highly recommend installing the tube prior to installing tank.....just twist it down a bit and adjust it when strapped in. You will find it impossible to get that neck into the hole under the car. Lube....or no lube. WD 40 is great for a bit of lube that will wash out into the tank. Hit me up in PM is more info is needed.
On my 65 Belvedere wagon there is no way to install the tube first. It was a PITA to get the tube in from the top. Some lubrication was needed. I also sanded the lower filler tube to clear any scuffs and what not and it did eventually got in.

Auto Transport Service
Back