• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel vapor separator filter

pjm8047

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
just wondering why the 440 and 426 had a special fuel filter but not the 383. Would it be a good idea to add one? If so how is it installed?

it was for high performance engines not all 440s,you dont need one for the 383. I have a 6 pack and dont have one on it.Your gas tank would have to have the extra vent line to hook it all up.

So the fuel sending unit would've had two ports? Utg says all vehicles should have them .

index-php-action-dlattach-topic-51219-jpg.jpg

I lived in Rochester NY for 40 years and never had vapor lock.

Driving my 383HP Bee today.. it's 36C. Three hot starts, 2 without issue. Third start some jackass had to touch the gas pedal before he cranked. That took some battery work and a pedal to the floor but she started. 5/16 stock line and no return. Run good fuel and vapour lock shouldn't be an issue.

just wondering why the 440 and 426 had a special fuel filter but not the 383. Would it be a good idea to add one? If so how is it installed?

I guess the RB blocks generate that much more heat than the 383? I ran a 440 without a separator for years and even in hot San diego summers hot starts usually weren't an issue. I installed one later just because it was "correct." With an electric fuel pump, separator and a 1.5" phenolic carb spacer, hot starts are never a problem for me...

I am in the process of installing one on my car. Just trying to set it up the way it is supposed to be.

You need a 1/4" return line back to the tank. If you don't have the 3/8" pickup you will be missing the 1/4 port at the sending unit for the return. Next best thing to do is to steal one of the gas tank vents for a return and that can be bad depending on the year of the car and how well the tank vents

It is a 5/16 line running back to the sending unit. I am running a dedicated line since it will be a raw fuel return to the tank. PMJ8047, message me your address and I will send you my extra fuel vapor separator.

It is a 5/16 line running back to the sending unit. I am running a dedicated line since it will be a raw fuel return to the tank. PMJ8047, message me your address and I will send you my extra fuel vapor separator.
Sorry to disagree, but the OE return line is 1/4" on the separator, frame rail line and sending unit. 5/16" from fuel pump to separator and separator to carb line.
superbirdcleanup20182019 246.JPG
superbirdcleanup20182019 832.JPG

383 had 5/16 full line from sending unit to the fuel pump. 426/440 had 3/8 fuel line from sending unit to the pump. The vapor separator had 1/4 line to the sending unit.

If you have the nipple on your gas tank for a return line then its not a bad idea to install it with the crap gas we have today. This cheap pump gas I get in Md will boil sometimes if it gets to hot for the fuel at the carb bowls and can also cause vapor lock since it has ethanal in it. Ron

383 had 5/16 full line from sending unit to the fuel pump. 426/440 had 3/8 fuel line from sending unit to the pump. The vapor separator had 1/4 line to the sending unit.
Not in every case. I had my R/T since '87 and only recently replaced the original tank, fuel, and return lines. Still had the factory clamps and undercoating on everything. Sending unit had 3/8 outlet and used 5/16 line. Not sure why it was done that way, but it now has 3/8 from the sender to the pump. I used to race it in the early 90's and never had a fuel delivery issue even with the 5/16 line.

If you have the nipple on your gas tank for a return line then its not a bad idea to install it with the crap gas we have today. This cheap pump gas I get in Md will boil sometimes if it gets to hot for the fuel at the carb bowls and can also cause vapor lock since it has ethanal in it. Ron
Had the same issue until I used a 9266 Edelbrock heat insulator.

I'm doing this conversion on my jeep and found this to use up near the carburetor 3/8 in 3/8 out 1/4 return
DSCN1484.JPG

Alternative part numbers.

Replacement fuel filters:

AC-DELCO GF98
CARQUEST 86041
FRAM G18
GENERAL MOTORS 5650344
GENERAL MOTORS 5650829
GENERAL MOTORS 5651119
HASTINGS GF20
LEE LG-11-18
MOTORCRAFT FG12