• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun with the Family, Mammoth Caves

747mopar

Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
20181021_131722.jpg
20181021_131658.jpg
20181021_130610.jpg
20181021_121508.jpg
20181021_112411.jpg

Two weeks ago I thought "you know my boy would absolutely love to go cave exploring" and here we are. Talk about something amazing to see and learn about! Took some talking but managed to get the wife to agree on their longest most demanding tour, 4 hours long. 2 hours of huge passageways followed by 2 hours of tight areas, elevation changes and really cool sights. I urge everybody to go out and see this great nations beauty.

Last edited:
Love that place. For the whole experience, we tent camp at their campground. And how cool are those vintage busses they take you to the entrances on !! (And they don't baby those suckers)

Love that place. For the whole experience, we tent camp at their campground. And how cool are those vintage busses they take you to the entrances on !! (And they don't baby those suckers)
It was 36 degrees outside, not camping in that haha. Vintage buses, maybe our school district is poor because we still use those same ones?

wow thanks for the pics,looks like a great time.

wow thanks for the pics,looks like a great time.
I wish I had more good pictures, because of lighting and the pace of the tour it was hard to get great pictures. Yellowstone is next on the list, actually I want to do a 2 week vacation and get out into the Tetons, Brice Canyon, Mesa Verdi ect.

Last edited:
Very cool thanks for sharing

I wish I had more good pictures, because of lighting and the pace of the tour it was hard to get great pictures. Because we were covering 4 miles it was a pretty good pace but lots of fun. Yellowstone is next on the list, actually I want to do a 2 week vacation and get out into the Tetons, Brice Canyon, Mesa Verdi ect.
Been to the Tetons and Yellowstone twice with the kids. Fantastic trip. While at the Tetons drive into Jackson, Wy for the day. It's a cool little town.

Caves are super cool.

I'been through "7 caves" in OH and several wild caves in KY and TN.

One had a huge square rock in the middle of a room bigger than a football stadium.
Tethered to the rock was a plastic tube and paper with less than 25 names on it.

View attachment 670563 View attachment 670565 View attachment 670568 View attachment 670572 View attachment 670573

Two weeks ago I thought "you know my boy would absolutely love to go cave exploring" and here we are. Talk about something amazing to see and learn about! Took some talking but managed to get the wife to agree on their longest most demanding tour, 4 hours long. 2 hours of huge passageways followed by 2 hours of tight areas, elevation changes and really cool sights. I urge everybody to go out and see this great nations beauty.
Where is this at? Next summers adventure for us.

Mammoth Cave National Park, just north of Bowling Green, Kentucky. Went there a few years ago with the family and friends. May need to plan ahead. When I went, the "wildcat tour" as it was called, was sold out for over a week. That's the 4+ hour cave tour 747mopar did. They told us if you couldn't crawl through the legs of a dining room chair, don't take that one.

Nice pictures and thanks for bringing back the memories 747mopar!

Thanks. On my list now of where to go.
Do as Lazerwolf mentioned and book in advance! My wife procrastinated thinking we could just pay at the park until I insisted, by then most were sold out. This worked out wonderfully for me because I couldn't convince her to do the Grand Avenue tour previously and guess what wasn't sold out? bahahaha. While checking in I looked up at the tour info and most tours were booked solid so do plan ahead.

The Grand Avenue tour and the Violet City Lantern tour (tour with lantern light only) are the big ones where you see the most but it's impossible to do both in 1 day. I chose the Grand Avenue because it takes you through the Frozen Niagara which is a must.

Auto Transport Service
Back