• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funeral Procession - am I too old school?

dsd1967

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
I was driving down the road and a funeral procession was coming from the opposite direction. As a courtesy to the deceased and their family, I pulled over to allow the procession to pass. During that time, I was passed by at least 10 vehicles coming from the same direction I was travelling. Am I wrong to think these people are too self centered to not stop and pay a little respect....or am I too old school. Not one vehicle coming my direction pulled over. My wife said not to get upset because they are probably not taught that type of courtesy anymore....she is too compassionate to others ignorance.

It's a few minutes of my time to pay respect to someone who has left this world and their grieving family...I guess these values are not "valued" any more. Am I out of line?

Pull over, stop , wait, even salute if it's military.

Nowadays. People dont care. Todays society is very inconsiderate.

I hear you, those same inconsiderate people don't pull off to the side for Police, Ambulance., and Fire trucks either.

I see these “inconsiderate pricks” on a daily basis. It’s always nice when I can “give something back” to them.

I was driving down the road and a funeral procession was coming from the opposite direction. As a courtesy to the deceased and their family, I pulled over to allow the procession to pass. During that time, I was passed by at least 10 vehicles coming from the same direction I was travelling. Am I wrong to think these people are too self centered to not stop and pay a little respect....or am I too old school. Not one vehicle coming my direction pulled over. My wife said not to get upset because they are probably not taught that type of courtesy anymore....she is too compassionate to others ignorance.

It's a few minutes of my time to pay respect to someone who has left this world and their grieving family...I guess these values are not "valued" any more. Am I out of line?
You are absolutely, not out of line. I wish more people would be a little more considerate of their fellow man

Having class is never out of line. I would also be inclined to believe that the griefing family saw your respectful gesture, since you were the only vehicle pulled over. A wise man told me if you are always trying to do the right thing prepare to be alone.

That respect means alot to the family.
I still pull over myself.
It's just the right thing to do.

Around here, we ALL still pull over and stop until the entire procession has passed.

If you respect no one at least respect the dead. We're all going to get there eventually! 440'

No respect, consideration, or feeling for others, you see it every day. They are without conscience also. Most of us here were brought up differently. Now kids don't even have respect for their elders. I was always told spare the rod, spoil the child. This is what it leads to.

No one has any common courtesy just like common sense too
I guess common anything is old school!
I stop and turn flashers on I get passed all the time too so even honk at me !
Same with police, fire,medical hell just about anyone on side of road I move or slow down for .
Just the other day I saw a pregnant girl with two kids on side of road with a flat I was way over already passed noticed not one person stopped to help her . So I got threw the light made my was to center turned around and changed her tire !
The poor girl didn't have minutes on her phone to call for help she said they were there for 20 mins and no one would stop !
It took me a hole 15 mins of my time !

People don't care about anyone else but them selves.
Makes you wonder what this place will be like in another 30 years

You may be old school, but there isn't anything wrong with that. I remember funeral processions where all the participants followed along with their headlights on - nowadays with daylight running lights it doesn't make much of a difference. :(

I agree for you stopping out of respect, honor, and I am sure someone in the family was deeply happy that you showed your respect!
Today, that some people fight to be first in line on an on-ramp, don’t hold doors for others. I’m doing best to teach my kids the better old way, and that they will have more awareness of all, and that the special people will say thank you. Pull over and remember it’s the others that don’t, that made you feel disturbed or at bets with the whole episode!

That used to happen a fair bit when I was a kid....never EVER see it now. The best you can hope for around here is that the funeral procession itself is not overtaken!!!.....which you still see once in a while.....usually a impatient business type in something fast and German!! I don't think anyone here would expect traffic on the oncoming side to stop these days anyway....thing of the past.

Makes you wonder what this place will be like in another 30 years

It's generational degradation. As the Boomers and older Xers die off, our society dies off. It does my heart good to witness the rare occasion when a young person displays old-school courtesy and wisdom... but it's rare.

I bet your parents said the same about your generation and their parent before them......does anything really ever change....I have my doubts.

Having class is never out of line. I would also be inclined to believe that the griefing family saw your respectful gesture, since you were the only vehicle pulled over. A wise man told me if you are always trying to do the right thing prepare to be alone.
You're absolutely right!
When my mom went to be with the LORD, the procession I was in drove past her house, and one of the neighbors who was mowing his lawn, stopped the mower, turned it off, took his hat off, and put his hand over his heart to honor my mother. It was such a touching thing that it left an impression on me to this day!

I bet your parents said the same about your generation and their parent before them......does anything really ever change....I have my doubts.
You're right. But I think the rate of societal devolution is increasing.

Auto Transport Service
Back