• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FWIW...ECU failure

old timer

Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
I'm just throwing this out there in case it helps someone out . I've had this issue for about a year , being too stubborn to seek competent help . My car would turn over and I found spark all the way to the coil but not to the distributor . I replaced pretty much everything in the ignition circuit but the ECU...you KNOW where this is going so when I say include ALL components when trouble-shooting , do yourself the favor and NEVER ' misunderestimate ' ANYTHING .

Sorry if this information was already covered but the lesson here was not the replacement part but the human involvement in this hobby of ours...:notworthy:

I'm just throwing this out there in case it helps someone out . I've had this issue for about a year , being too stubborn to seek competent help . My car would turn over and I found spark all the way to the coil but not to the distributor . I replaced pretty much everything in the ignition circuit but the ECU...you KNOW where this is going so when I say include ALL components when trouble-shooting , do yourself the favor and NEVER ' misunderestimate ' ANYTHING .

Sorry if this information was already covered but the lesson here was not the replacement part but the human involvement in this hobby of ours...:notworthy:

Have had that one too with an orange box. Now I run a ground strap from the ecu to the engine block...but still keep a spare just in case.

How about the manufacture and Part # of your bad unit?

How about the manufacture and Part # of your bad unit?
It was from the Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion kit I bought from Mancini...pretty close to 20 years ago...I can't blame anybody but myself as explained in my first post...

I found spark all the way to the coil but not to the distributor .:

Your post makes no sense. Are you saying you had GOOD HOT spark at the coil? If you did, then it's probably a bad coil wire, or something wrong in the rotor / cap.

There has been at least one case, however, where an ECU started sort of "triggering erratically." That is it would run, sometimes, but rough. Evidently something in the internal circuit would cause it to trigger randomly.

I finally converted to an HEI module. I know. I KNOW!!!. You CAN hide those inside a Mopar box!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back