• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gabriel air shocks

streetstrip_ch

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
I was looking under my 67 GTX wondering how to run a return line and I noticed some lines coming out of the shocks, after a Google search I figure it would be the Gabriel air shocks.

Does anyone else have a set on your B body?
I believe the previous owner was racing this car, would you know any advantage for drag racing using this shocks?

Thanks

IMG_20200524_121018.jpg IMG_20200524_121316.jpg

I remember having to replace the entire shock mount in a Roadrunner because some fool cranked them up too much and the force blew apart the structure.

They’ve typically been a band-aid. Originally to keep the rear from sagging with a heavy load. Then in the 70’s / 80’s when the whole jacked up rear end was a look. Then to compensate for old sagging springs.

I would dump the air shocks just for the reason of the shock mount. JMO

Get rid of the air shocks before it destroys your car. Mine had them when I got it and the first thing I did was trash 'em!

Some of these cars leaned to one side after a while.. so it could of been to level it out.. I have had a few that were like that as well..

Assuming that there are TWO air lines, one for each shock, yes there is a racing purpose for the air shocks. Physics determines that the rearend wants to pivot around the pinion gear on launch, essentially pushing down on the drivers side tire, and lifting the passenger side. Thar is why cars with open rearends spin just the right tire . The air shocks, if they are independantly aired up, can have MORE air in the passenger side shock to preload the right tire. This can be very effective for open rearend cars to equalize traction.
If they arent being used in this fashion.....get rid of them.

I've ran them on several cars for decades and never had one single issue. people have problems because they pump 200 psi in them, load four fat chicks in the trunk then proceed to do 50 mph over speed bumps, destroying everything holding the car together out back

Agreed WP.. I've had them on my Bee since '79. Kept the car level with 3 guys in the trunk going into the drive in. We replaced damn near every piece of the bottom of my car during restoration. The front left frame rail is still OE, as is the rear upper shock mount that was saved and welded back to the two new rear rails. And yes I put air shocks back on, car sits nice at about 15 psi.
beerestoration2018 787.JPG

Agreed WP.. I've had them on my Bee since '79. Kept the car level with 3 guys in the trunk going into the drive in. We replaced damn near every piece of the bottom of my car during restoration. The front left frame rail is still OE, as is the rear upper shock mount that was saved and welded back to the two new rear rails. And yes I put air shocks back on, car sits nice at about 15 psi.
man the paint underneath looks beautiful. nicely done!

about 40 psi in mine right now , and it rides great with about 1 1/2" of lift.

Thank you guys for the feedback, I'll check the pressure on mine and keep an eye on it for a while.

Believe from similar post cranky ran air shocks quite often without issue.

No harm if used with prudence for a little load leveling. Longer term holding up the *** end is where the issues can be found.

lol @ the youngster discovering air shocks for the first time.........oh to be young again

Air shocks were on a 68' Ford Ranchero GT I had baught years back to help with saggy springs. I put about 20 psi in them but they was only 1 Schrader valve that "t"ed to each shock. The ride was fine going straight but corners & turns felt like the air was getting pushed back & forth as the car swayed. It was an odd feeling & went to add a second valve so they were independant & noticed one was wet so just replaced them with a set of new Monroe's the PO gave me with the car... I highly suggest seperate valves.

Had air shocks on my 64 Plymouth for two years. Wanted the raised up look but couldn’t stand the hard ride. Just installed SS 3400lbs springs and kyb shocks last weekend and will never look back. With that being said, never did any damage with the air shocks.

At least mopar have a shock mount crossmember. I had my airshocks on a 57 chevy, where the upper shock mount is the trunk floor. If I remember right, I usually had under a hundred pounds in mine, I was one of only a few friends (all my buddy's at the time had 55-57 chevys) that didn't have to fix the trunk floor.

Hi,
I was looking under my 67 GTX wondering how to run a return line and I noticed some lines coming out of the shocks, after a Google search I figure it would be the Gabriel air shocks.

Does anyone else have a set on your B body?
I believe the previous owner was racing this car, would you know any advantage for drag racing using this shocks?

Thanks

View attachment 954514 View attachment 954515
Yep. That's the way it was done back in the 70's.

My 69 coronet 1a (2).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back