• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Games We Didn't Have as Kids

I think that no matter what, kids will look at the stuff their parents did and think that it sucks.
When I was growing up in the 70s, Mom spoke of playing "Kick the can". No, Mom was not racist, the "Can" was not a MexiCAN or an AfriCAN but a 32 ounce juice can. They played some low rent game like soccer or something with it. Holy crap...It must have sucked *** to be so dang poor.
We played sports, rode bikes, hide and seek, Played "smear the queer"....Remember THAT game? The "queer" was whoever had the ball. The object was to tackle the guy before he threw the ball to someone else. What do they call this game today?

Kick the Can was a fun game - we played it back in the days when kids went outside to play with other kids. I don't think you're too much older than me (I'm 54), but maybe it was more of a regional thing if you didn't play it and it was more your Mom's generation. We lived in upstate NY in the '60s and early '70s.

We also called Smear the Queer "Kill the Man". We used both names for it.

"king of the hill" on huge dirt piles wherever there was construction going on

I think that no matter what, kids will look at the stuff their parents did and think that it sucks.
When I was growing up in the 70s, Mom spoke of playing "Kick the can". No, Mom was not racist, the "Can" was not a MexiCAN or an AfriCAN but a 32 ounce juice can. They played some low rent game like soccer or something with it. Holy crap...It must have sucked *** to be so dang poor.
We played sports, rode bikes, hide and seek, Played "smear the queer"....Remember THAT game? The "queer" was whoever had the ball. The object was to tackle the guy before he threw the ball to someone else. What do they call this game today?
Smear the Queer was much fun. How we played it was the "queer" could not pass the ball but had to run around until he was tackled. Usually roughly, we played on asphalt. Then had to punt the football high into the air.

We played "King of the Mountain" during the winter on snowpiles

Today they probably don't allow either, probably make the poor boys play boring, sissy games like Soccer

I suppose building a fort is a lost art....... saw my first dirty magazines in my friend's older brother's fort

I took a couple pages from a playboy and hid them under the sofa at home...... my Dad found them and my older brother got the rap!

as stoner teens, everyone around here had a dirt bike....... we would ride through the apple orchards with someone on the back, the person riding "shotgun" would grab apples off the tree and throw them at the other bikes........... GREAT TIMES!

as stoner teens, everyone around here had a dirt bike....... we would ride through the apple orchards with someone on the back, the person riding "shotgun" would grab apples off the tree and throw them at the other bikes........... GREAT TIMES!
My cousins & I did that with cow pies on ranch in Oregon.
Called it cow-pie jousting.
Boy, was my Aunt PISSED when she did the laundry after doing that once in our brand new (formerly) white shirts & Levis.

Last edited:
"Tag" is being banned.

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/Tag.html

Being replaced by on-line oddities.

That game is a little warped! I wonder what age group?

We played in the back yard, in a pile of dirt with toy trucks and dozers, Matchbox cars. Rode our bikes everywhere, made trails in the woods. Went fishing. Went to the movies on a rare occasion. Same with bowling. Played ball, baseball and football if someone came over or we went to a friends.

We had one small tv with three channels. Didn't get to watch it much. When we did the show was what the parents wanted to watch. I saw a Nintendo pong game when I was around 16, didn't own a computer until my daughter was 13 and wanted one. All of this was always after your chores were done.

Remember doing chores?

Lol, Most activity was "OUTSIDE before I ring your neck" as mom would put it.

If you go outside and play "army" or "cops and robbers" these days you're liable to get more than you bargain for.

Aside from the usual sports, fence, dodgeball, and ditch were all favorites while living in Chi way back.

Indoors favorite card games were Hearts and Pinochle and board games were Monopoly, Life, Stratego, and Chess.

.........everyone around here had a dirt bike............

Ha, in Chi, if you had a mini bike ya' made a lot of friends!

Playing army with BB guns. We just didn't shoot at each other's face.

Wrist Rockets
image.jpg

and 'buck nuts'
image.jpg

image.jpg

This got hijacked to games we HAD as kids, sorry Khryslerkid.

Yeah, but this topic is more interesting though, right?

Things I did not have as a kid for games or toys growing up put simply. If it did not pluged into the wall or would not operate on AA - DD cells it was not happening. Remote ment cable attached.

Auto Transport Service
Back