• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Build

Gospel Runner

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
After many, many, many years of desiring to build a garage to house my cars, I finally jumped in to make it happen by the grace of God. It is a two car garage, with 12' high ceilings because I want to put a lift in it. I started the foundation in late March. I am using 2 X 4 construction with T-111 exterior. It will have a truss roof with a storage area. I will have one window, one door and one single 16' garage door.

IMG_1767[1].JPG IMG_1769[1].JPG IMG_1770[1].JPG IMG_1782[1].JPG IMG_1783[1].JPG

Then the floor went in. The lift called for 4" floors with a 3,000 lb. mix. I put in 5" floors with a 4,000 lb. mix.

IMG_1887[1].JPG IMG_1891[1].JPG IMG_1893[1].JPG

Nice... I shall be living vicariously through you for the next few moments and drooling on my keyboard! lol

Work kept getting in the way of my progress. (Hahaha) Then in the northeast it kept raining on days I was available to work on it. Next fabric barrier and siding.

IMG_1940[1].JPG IMG_1941[1].JPG IMG_1943[1].JPG IMG_1944[1].JPG IMG_1947[1].JPG

Looks great! ....but only a 2 car garage:poke:.....:D

It seemed as though when I got to the roof, it was raining every other day. Then I lost all of my help. I was trying to put up trusses by myself. They were too heavy or I was too weak? I looked on you-tube and saw how this guy was doing it by himself. His were not as steep as mine, nor was his ceiling twelve feet off the ground. Does that sound like I am making excuses? I was able to use his technique and got the rest of them up.

IMG_1985[1].JPG IMG_1986[1].JPG IMG_1988[1].JPG

Last edited:
The garage is 22' x 30' and can fit more cars, but I have more stuff than cars. I also want to put in a bench and cabinets, compressor, mig welder, and etc. If anyone has a good design layout idea; sharing is caring. The last time I sheathed a roof was over 30 years ago, so this was difficult for the old man. I struggled to do one side over the course of a couple weeks (rain delays). A friend from work came by after hearing me cry for two weeks, he revealed he could do the other side in few hours if I followed his plan. On Monday we pulled everything need to the ridge. On Tuesday after work I sat on the ridge and passed him everything he asked for in sequence and three hours later we were done! I screamed Hallelujah, thank you Jesus. My neighbors thought I was crazy, but I did not care.

IMG_1989[1].JPG IMG_2004[1].JPG IMG_2005[1].JPG IMG_2042[1].JPG

Last edited:
Then I finished putting up the siding and started on the soffits. The door and window then went in.

IMG_2044[1].JPG IMG_2062[1].JPG IMG_2063[1].JPG IMG_2097[1].JPG

A friend of mine who said I am not helping you with the roof, it is too much work and I am too old to do all of that lifting said, call me when it is time to paint. I said ok. He primed it with a brush and roller to get the paint into the fibers.

IMG_2190[1].JPG IMG_2192[1].JPG

Then came by two days later to lay down the color with a paint sprayer. He was a beast. He just kept working through the heat! God bless him!

IMG_2201[1].JPG IMG_2202[1].JPG

Six weeks ago another co-worker said he had a friend that bought an old car dealership and he was getting rid of the car lifts to put in some heavy duty diesel truck lifts. He asked me if I wanted to by one. Oh yeah, my prayers were answered. It is a Murray lift with a 9,000 lb capacity. As I wait for the garage door to arrive, I am going to position the lift and begin the electrical installation of the 100 amp box, electrical outlet and switch boxes, and the overhead lights. Anyone know what can give me the best light for this application? Eventually I am going to insulate and sheet rock the inside. I have to save up some more for that to happen. Because I beefed up the floor, I used the money I had earmarked for the insulation and sheet rock. So far I am satisfied. I think I will paint the floor before I install the lift. Again, if you have any design ideas you would like to share, I am all ears. If you have a floor paint I should use, share that also. Thanks for peeking in. I will share more photos as I complete various aspects of the build. When I get my garage door installed, I am bringing the cars home! God bless you!!!

Last edited:
Love the garage, that upstairs was a great idea.. you'll love having that space. As far as layout goes my suggestion is don't do anything permanent until you get a car or 2 in there to get a feel for what kind of space you want for working. My thought given your size would be to place the lift as far back as possible so you have a lot of clear floor inside the garage door. I'd also utilize the walls in the rear of the garage for benches, tools boxes, etc. At 22ft wide I'd be stingy giving up any width in the front of the garage, think of it as the rear being the primary work area and the front being an open work area/parking 2 wide. Just my thoughts.

My shop is 28x52 with 2x4 studs, and all 2x6 roof and joists. Every other rafter set is trussed built on site and on 24" centers. My dad and I built it by ourselves because our help never showed up lol

Great job, nice looking shop. Really like to see pictures of you setting the trusses by yourself! We built our shop about 16 years ago, used 8’ flourecents. I’d imagine LEDs would be a better choice nowadays for lighting. I know it’s been discussed in threads in this shop and garage forum.
If your neighborhood allows it, I’d consider pouring an apron out front for more work space, I use ours a lot in nice weather. You can see it in my avatar.

Auto Transport Service
Back