• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Floor Coating-Hold up to weld spatter?

Propwash

Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey gent's,

Anyone know of any floor coating that will hold up to weld spatter/sparks?

Looking to seal up the floor but most store brands I looked at don't really hold up to that kind of torture.

wassup prop 'ol buddy......the only thing i can remotely think of is 2-part epoxy paint. that stuff is pretty durable but with all the B-S regulations lately , im not sure its even available anymore.

Hey Prop. The sad truth is none of them will withstand weld spatter.

I agonized over this when I built the shop and in the end, decided all of the welding, burning, fab work and general destruction would just mar up the floor regardless of what I put down.

Epoxy is probably the best bet for a floor coating, but with it's inherent problems (hot tire lift etc.) I didn't feel it was warrented.

The most durable finish would be to burn (polish) it. Think of the floors in Home Depot or Lowes. The bitch here is you're looking at $5.00- $7.00 a sq. ft.

This is the route I had wanted to go, but my joint is almost 1600 sq. ft. and that **** wasn't happinin'.

In the end, I setteled on a Sherwin-Williams product.
http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/detail.jsp?A=sku-26307%3aproduct-6879

It was affordable and does what I need it to do.

Good luck bud.

Thanks for the imput gentlemen. Much appreciated.

That's what I was affraid of that......I guess a guy could toss down a fiberglass welding blanket or something when needed. I don't think I could swallow that $5.00-$7.00 a square foot either 5wndwcpe, even with all the lute you've saved me over at Rock Auto..LOL

Thanks Gent's!

Why not granite tiles? I have a 500 square feet in my shop and it was not so expensive in Sweden and will probably be even cheaper in the US like everything else...
Payed around $800 for the tiles, grout and fix.
Just mix the fix so it floats under the tiles so you don´t get any air left under, then it holds for jacks and stands too.

Attachments

• DSC05279.JPG
    DSC05279.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 587
Check with Griot's garage Mr Propwash - they have some tiles that they claim will withstand welding. Dont remember the name or cost, but recall seeing them in a catalog a couple of years ago. Considered getting some for my space at the time, but being President of the local Procrastinators Union, havent gotten it done...
I have used a 2 part epoxy for years. It obviously wears, like any coating, but when applied properly over CLEAN concrete - clean is key - holds up fairly well. I never experienced 'tire lift' or any other real problems. Its fairly chemical resistant, held up under floor jacks etc back when i was working out there a lot, etc. hafta admit that I never welded over it though. Its been down 15 years +/- and is going away in places and lifting around floor cracks, so repair or replacement time is [past] due.
Since we live on the same island apparently, :) you too may have a humidity/moisture problem that comes with extreme temperature variances. IF you decide to do the epoxy coat, do it in the middle of the hottest and driest spell you can find. Every little bit of moisture under the paint is a problem.
Good luck!

Hey Prop,I coated my shop floor with the Rustoleum epoxy coating.I used the higher end one of the two available.I really like it and it is holding up real well.I've done a lot of welding on it and haven't really had any problems.If I'm using the cutting torch or doing some real serious welding I put down a sheet of Hardi-backer under the area.The Hardi-backer is the 1/4" cement based backer you put down as a sub base when tiling a floor.It is available at Home Depot in 3' X 5' sheets.Might work for ya.I figured if it gets too messed up over the years,I will just give it another coat to make it pretty again.

Thanks 69Mayflower. Good to know the stuff can be that rugged. I'll check it out next trip tp the hardware store.

All 2-k epoxy will burn under sparks.

I used same stuff that we used when building parking building floors, its a powder that you lay over cement before last sweap.

It makes the cement floor sealed, will not let dust, let oil be suck in, sparks have no effect and it more inpact and wear resistance.

You can get it in US:http://www.buildingsystems.basf.com...buildingsystems/products/items/Mastertop_1182

Been very pleased with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back