• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

garage heater recommendations

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:06 PM
Reaction score
does anyone have any recommendations for electric garage heaters?

i have 240 supply ready to go, garage is 25 x 40 with cathedral ceilings (approx 18 foot tall )
3 walls are insulated, and the 4th wall is in the earth.ceiling is insulated as well.

Last edited:
A heater in Florida? Probably get by with a space heater...:poke:

LOL I moved to the knoxville, tn area

25 x 40, cathedral ceilings and electric heating ?!?!? You must be a multi-millionaire !!!

dont need a sauna, just warm enough to function

That's a lot of space to heat with electric - even "just to function" you'll want it around 55 or 60. I'd definitely install at least four ceiling fans to keep the heat down at the floor. I'm guessing natural gas is out. Have you considered propane?

i have thought about it , but given building codes I dont have any place to put a tank that would pass inspection

i have 240 supply ready to go, garage is 25 x 40 with cathedral ceilings (approx 18 foot tall )
3 walls are insulated, and the 4th wall is in the earth.ceiling is insulated as well.

I just put a 240v Dayton G73 Utility Heater (Grainger house brand) in my 24x20 garage. I wasn't going to go electric until a plumber friend told me it was a better choice for me. I'm glad I listened. No regrets, couldn't be happier with it. You'd probably want to go with a bigger Unit Heater. Check out the Grainger site. Just make sure you have heavy enough wire and breaker for it.

Last edited:
Given the size and your location I would suggest looking at a furnace/ heat pump as you may want some cool air also at times.

a split unit is nice all electric and AC too a 3 ton is what i use in a 1800 sq. ft with 10ft ceilings probably overkill but i got it cheap. I think they run about $2200 new for that size. an you can keep the humidity down. aka the enemy of metal.

I would talk to a heating contractor to figure out what it would cost to operate the heater before I
pulled the trigger. Your first electric bill might give you a heart attack unless your whole house has
electric heat. In that case, your electric utility gives you a "volume discount" on electric rates. If that
is in fact the case, you should be good, just put in some fans to keep the warm air down where you're at!

I have this in the 7500W version. Over kill for my 20 X 19, but very happy with it. No open coils an no stink from kerosene. Fairly quiet too. A remote thermostat would make it much better though.
The 5000W version at a local store ...........
upload_2020-1-8_12-10-26.png

I have a smaller version of that in my 24x21 attached garage. The 5000W is good for me, garage is insulated.

I have this in the 7500W version. Over kill for my 20 X 19, but very happy with it. No open coils an no stink from kerosene. Fairly quiet too. A remote thermostat would make it much better though.
The 5000W version at a local store ...........
View attachment 892246
this is what i have been looking at, I have 5000 at one one ( by the door ) , does ok, will get up to mid 50's but take a while, thinking if I added a t 7500 to other end ( by front of cars , it would help a lot.

just to give you an idea of the space

I do have a chimney if i want to go wood or pellet stove

20200105_145111.jpg 20200105_145128.jpg 20200105_163225.jpg

You can't get that cold in K-ville TN. to need that much heat, do you? I run a couple of these things in a 25x30 w/9' ceilings and it heats up nicely when it's 40* outside. With your taller ceilings, you may need a bigger heater, or ceiling fans to blow the heat down? It's just a generic "Mr. Heater". Good Luck
https://www.harborfreight.com/15000-btu-tank-top-propane-heater-63073.html

I've been useing this unit for over 15 years now. I had it in a larger shop and took it with me to my 24' x 26' garage now. It pulls 31 amps, like a electric clothes dryer. The have larger ones or you could use two. I remember paying $600. Looks like they went up or maybe you could shop around for a better deal. I bought mine from Grainger.
89058-108772-thickbox.jpg

https://www.ecomfort.com/Modine-HER...MI9bCEudT05gIVgpyzCh0kcgeQEAQYASABEgIIpfD_BwE

I got my chops busted for recommending this before, but I'll tell you anyway...... I did a barn three years ago for a guy, big barn, but well insulated. He does cars, and works out there all winter long. He has a giant house too. He claims his monthly electric is well under $300 a month, with geothermal in the house (4,500 square foot) and three low ambient ductless mini split heat pumps in the barn( 100x40, plus 30x30 all cathedral ceilings). Installed cost was pretty high, IMO, but labor was nil because the units dont need ductwork. These units can operate well below zero temps outside. You could get away cheaper because you dont need the low ambient style in Flo-rida or most of the south. Anyway, super happy customer, he claims cheap to operate. I'd certainly give it a shot before I would consider any kind of direct resistance electric heating equipment! HTH, Lefty71
https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products

As stated by others: Heat pump if electricity isn't dirt cheap. Electric resistance heat is 100% efficient, but a heat pump is 300% efficient, and you can cool in the summer.

I have used one of them Propane tall cherry heaters in Oregon in a 25x25. Now in NM and use the same one in a 1000 ft shop with 20 ft ceilings. As long as I can mix mud and spray primer I am OK with it. Been a tad cold in the AM but 60 by 11 has been sweet, and no RAIN!!!

i have thought about it , but given building codes I dont have any place to put a tank that would pass inspection

you should be able to put an upright tank 249 gallon up next to the building. That’s what I did. Anything over that needs to have something around 12 ft or greater from the structure.

Auto Transport Service
Back