• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Smells Like Gas....

JG71B

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
I have a 71 Charger 383 car. Just got it goin, all seems good. Just tired of smelling gas every time I walk in the garage. I have yet to find another 3 orifice factory breather and also removed the vapor separator tank from driver side rear wheel house. I have a hundred other things to do before I can track down the correct a breather and get the vapor tank back in, lines etc. Anyone have any ideas of how I can at least alleviate it until that stuff is found and put back on? Right now I'm just running off the original fuel line, I have a breather sticking out of a valve cover and that's it! Someone mentioned a gas filter with a return on it may help. Appreciate any more help....

I don’t know the solution but when my car is completely full I have the same problem, but if I drive it once and put a few miles on the car it goes away.
I have a 69 Coronet with no return line.
Curious to hear replies.

First thing to do is check the gas filler neck grommet.

My parking garage smells like gas until it all evaporates from the carburetor (2 days or so).
Mike

Check the fuel cap. There’s a rubber there that wears out.
Two check for any leaks, any time I’ve smelled gas as you describe it I gave a leak somewhere

Gas expanding and dripping down inside the carb will fill the garage with fumes. Look for wetness in there. Smell the oil dipstick for gas also if this is happening.

I have a car that smells until it cools down. I used to have to park it outside the door for a few hours and then push it in. This was in my garage under the house. I’ve since built a detached and that solved a lot of my problems....

So you removed the vapor separator from the wheel well , and now have four exposed vents / nipples on the gas tank

And you smell gas

What am I missing here ?

The three hose breather on the valve cover actually runs off the vapor separator itself , fifth hose

So you removed the vapor separator from the wheel well , and now have four exposed vents / nipples on the gas tank

And you smell gas

What am I missing here ?

The three hose breather on the valve cover actually runs off the vapor separator itself , fifth hose
Tank lines are capped off

Hopefully the water heater or furnace are not in the garage.

Hopefully the water heater or furnace are not in the garage.
Lol no. It's not scary smelling like you can't light a match as was mentioned before but, just enough to smell it and yes I know that's still poses some sort of danger. The garage is attached to the house, I just faintly smell it in the garage not at all in the house

I have the same issue, tired of it, but haven't had time to diagnose it. I have a 440-6 pack car and the former owner told me that when it sits a few days, the gas will leak back and you have to crank it for 30 seconds to start the car. That is pretty accurate. Once it runs, it starts quick and runs/idles well. After a drive, I also let it sit outside for a half hour, then put it in the garage and it isn't as bad. I have an attic fan ducted into the garage that I'll run for a few hours to suck out the fumes. I feel it is carb related, but not sure. Do I need to rebuild the carbs? Is the gas flowing back to the tank; they why does it smell? Or, down into the engine? My oil doesn't smell like gas, so I keep getting annoyed without solving the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the same issue, tired of it, but haven't had time to diagnose it. I have a 440-6 pack car and the former owner told me that when it sits a few days, the gas will leak back and you have to crank it for 30 seconds to start the car. That is pretty accurate. Once it runs, it starts quick and runs/idles well. After a drive, I also let it sit outside for a half hour, then put it in the garage and it isn't as bad. I have an attic fan ducted into the garage that I'll run for a few hours to suck out the fumes. I feel it is carb related, but not sure. Do I need to rebuild the carbs? Is the gas flowing back to the tank; they why does it smell? Or, down into the engine? My oil doesn't smell like gas, so I keep getting annoyed without solving the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If there's no external leaks it's probably just evaporation through the bowl vents. Many have installed a electric charge pump near the tank and operated with a momentary pushbutton switch to fill the carbs before starting. Most of the evaporation occurs shortly after shutting the hot engine off. The puppy pee gas we have now days evaporates very quickly.

Screenshot_20211013-125122_eBay.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Plus...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

What's with the one with leafs on it? :fool:
(Can't understand why I keep getting pulled over?)

My Mopars always smell like gas. But not the good stuff when I was a kid, and would inhale it at the Sunoco. Now it has toluene in it. Yuck.

My Mopars always smell like gas. But not the good stuff when I was a kid, and would inhale it at the Sunoco. Now it has toluene in it. Yuck.
I used to pump Ethyl when I was a kid. Yep, she was good stuff. :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back