• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Rossington Won't Be Down

66ChargerHI-PO

Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
I just saw this on my trending searches and figured I would share with everyone, especially if you are a die-hard Lynyrd Skynyrd fan like I am. I understand dying is part of life but I'm heartbroken right now, he passed away so young too. I wonder if all their tours will be cancelled this year because of it?. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and the band, Rest In Peace Gary. Here is the article......

Gary Rossington, original Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist, dead at 71

Lynyrd Skynyrd was in the 8 track tape deck many a night cruising the circuit.
I also played some Rossington Collins Band music.
RIP Gary.
(6-2) Edit: I must add that the sound of Skynyrd blasting out of the five speakers in the '70 Charger and filtering out into the street that hot summer night in '78 may have been our "free pass" when we got caught in traffic outside of Degen's Tavern (aka biker bar) when the clientele dispersed from the establishment.

Last edited:
I graduated in 1983. Most of the bands that were popular then had members that were easily 10 years older than me.
Given that, it stands to reason that if these same guys are closing in on 70 years old, they are lucky to still be alive given that they probably didn't live a healthy lifestyle.
Drugs, booze, cigarettes, fast food and irregular habits don't often extend your life span.
A few years back, I figured that there would be a wave of obituaries that would come through in the mid to late 2020s. As sad as it is, it is not a surprise.
How is Ozzy still alive? Keith Richards? Tommy Lee ?

RIP Gary! I'm still listening to the music Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Rossington Collins Band made to this day! Another guitar legend has passed!

My favorite band. Gary was an underrated guitar player. He was one of the reasons I fell in love with Les Pauls, I have two.

That is sad news, prayers for him and family. I was lucky to see him perform 3 times over the years.
I have been a fan since I was a teen.
RIP ,Gary.

R.I.P. Gary Rossington Another very talented musician gone
Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of my all time favorite southern rock bands

I graduated in 1983. Most of the bands that were popular then had members that were easily 10 years older than me.
Given that, it stands to reason that if these same guys are closing in on 70 years old, they are lucky to still be alive given that they probably didn't live a healthy lifestyle.
Drugs, booze, cigarettes, fast food and irregular habits don't often extend your life span.
A few years back, I figured that there would be a wave of obituaries that would come through in the mid to late 2020s. As sad as it is, it is not a surprise.
How is Ozzy still alive? Keith Richards? Tommy Lee ?

You've heard the phrase - Only the good die young.

Actually I respond somewhat in jest. It is amazing some of these guys are still kicking given their early lifestyles.

R.I.P. good band, good guitarist.. he was lucky to survive and had many more years

Just bought a new smiley face fuss box. Also, a new Hendrix Wa pedal. Have a Yamha ax got at a yard sale for 100 bucks. It plays as sweet as any guitar I have had. Lays down rip's really well. Have a 1000-watt crate amp as well as many others. Like fender, Peavey and a Gibson. We will miss all the grate guitar player's and singers from the past. But their memory's will live on in us. :(

I heard something yesterday that resonates in me.

"People are only dead if you fail to remember them out loud. Otherwise they die twice."

Thank you Gary ... for always giving us your best.

Rest in Peace.

He was the sole surviving original Skynyrd band member. The plan was that the current incarnation of the band would open for ZZTop this Summer.

Last edited:
Sadly we are loosing them far faster than one would think. I have often times wonder if the Rock and Roll lifestyle has something to do with these passing's. Seems lately more and more are doing so and it saddens me. We of that generation of Rock and Roll emergence had some of the best and greatest music to listen to. RIP Gary and Rock on Dude with the phenomenal heavenly Rock and Roll group...cr8crshr/Bill:praying::praying::praying::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back