• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas cap on my 68 roadrunner

Dwaz45

Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
The gas cap on my 68 roadrunner is deeper than any others I've seen. The rubber seal inside is not very rubbery anymore so I am buying a new one. When I started looking all the ones I've saw including NOS are real thin compared to mine. I'm just curious as to what mine came off of if anybody knows

20230416_155147.jpg

20230416_155151.jpg

20230416_155144.jpg

20230416_155133.jpg

It's the cap on my roadrunner that my dad bought 20 years ago. I just assumed it was correct. It seems to fit snug when screwed on. However last weekend I had the car at an establishment and I was parked nose up on a slight incline with a full gas tank and a little gas leaked out on the ground. I figured the rubber seal was at fault and I set about ordering a new one. That's when I found out that apparently what should be on my car is the thin variety. I don't really care as long as it seals good. I was just wondering about the old cap.

It boils down to which type of cap is correct for the car - vented or non-vented.
I believe in this case the original was non-vented, as the gas tank has those little
vent lines in the back that extend up into the trunk and back out?
I know my '68 GTX has those, but I wound up finding a vented cap anyways since
at the time, I was concerned with a fuel flow issue and wanted "extra" venting for
some reason.

Seems like I had to get creative with the cap I chose - it fits like an early 70's Ford
station wagon or some such, since I wanted a big diameter face on it (you know,
arthritis and all....).

Ya this car was my dad's and he painted it and did a lot of the work and had accumulated most of the parts. Just a couple things like this cap make me scratch my head. Lol. The tank is vented and your right the cap is not. I just ordered a cap that's supposed to be stock. Well see. Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back