• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas gauge problem - 65 Belvedere

HemiRob

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
I need help. My father built this Hemi Belvedere and unfortunately, passed away last year. I'm in the process of fixing a few loose ends. I cannot get this gas gauge to work. I've checked grounds, wiring, etc. I believe the dash has a voltage regulator in the back but I don't know how to test. Any help is appreciated.
IMG_8473.jpg

sorry for your loss, nice car, get a friend to help, with the key turned on, slide under the car and pull off sender wire, have a piece of wire with you , have friend watch gauge while you take wire an ground the sender wire to the frame or good ground, the gauge should go up. don't ground it very long. if it goes up you know the wiring and dash are ok. the problem is the sender or gas logged float.

Again sorry for your loss. Another thing to look at in his records is if he bought and installed a new repo fuel sender in the tank. If he did, that is more than likely your problem..aftermarket senders are not calibrated correctly to oem gauge in dash.

On my 66 the gas gauge only worked ocassionally.
I tested a few things, finally just loosened and brushed the connections on the rear of the gauge.
Tightened it up and voila fixed.
That car is sweet.:thumbsup:

The instrument cluster voltage regulator also controls the temp gauge. If it is bad, the temp gauge don't work either.

The instrument cluster voltage regulator also controls the temp gauge. If it is bad, the temp gauge don't work either.
Any idea where to get an instrument cluster voltage regulator? Seems to be difficult for a 1965.

Auto Transport Service
Back