• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Gauge & Sender Idea & Question

66plysat

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
This may sound like a ridiculous question but here goes. Since there are issues with repop sending units and incorrect gauge readings, why wouldn't be possible to use a sender and matching fuel gauge from a new vehicle ie, Charge or Challenger etc. I had a new gas tank built to fit my 66 Satellite. If the fuel tank builder made the sending unit hole compatible with a new car sending unit and I installed a compatible gas gauge, wouldn't it be more reliable than the repop setups we're using now?
If this idea isn't feasible, why not? Looking for out of the box ideas and constructive comments to solve the inaccuracies of our fuel gauges.

I thought fuel pumps and the sending unit were integral on a lot of newer cars, but I may be mistaken. In any event the ohms range of operation of the sender has to be matched to the fuel gage calibration which might be difficult. Not sure.

Most newer cars have the sending unit and electric fuel pump as one. Pretty much all plastic along with the tank.
I know OE 60-70's sending units were adjustable.If you remove the small cover you will find a screw on the reo-stat.
That way you can bench test and re-calibrate .Not sure about the re-pop ones.

I wish I could find an accurate sending unit for my 68 coronet....until then I'll keep flipping the license plate down and look inside the tank!

Do you guys know if your original sender is in bad shape? They can be rebuilt if they are not too far gone. The coils on the original senders were made to vary the resistance along with the shape of the tank. The new senders are made for a square tank. See post #5 in the thread link below. Get a original sender and have it rebuilt or get a "Meter Match" . https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...ank-sending-unit-fuel-float-adjustmet.442345/

The older I get I NEED that urinal.

I bought an autometer fuel gauge with a 10-73 ohm range thinking it might be compatible with the linear senders but I haven't tried it yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back