• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank- best replacement

YY1

Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
Well I found my fuel leak this time.

After replacing all the vent return hoses, this time I didn't know what to expect...

After inspecting all 4 of the new hoses and feeling around the sender, I spotted a gooey blob right at the lowest part of the outside of the tank, right smack in the center.

It seemed a bit moist, so I rubbed at it a bit with my finger...and gas started pissing out in a steady stream. Loks like there might have been a cheap epoxy repair done in the past.

So...which repro tanks are the best? I searced the site and came up with Quanta.

Rock auto has Spectra ($165) and Platinum Pro ($150).

Anyone had good or bad luck with either of those three?

I've heard that there are some good ones made in canada, but aparently that secret is out and there are multiple vendors/brands claming that now.

I've also heard that some are coated or galvanized, and some are bare and surface rust.
Any info on that is appreciated.

I'd sure like to ordere one ASAP, so I can replace it while I'm off work over Christmas.

Thanks much.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I see AMD has one. Anyone use that one?

I found another thread where people were saying the Spectra is good.

I may just order that from Rockauto. Shipping is $17 and that will keep it under $200.

Thanks.

Ordered!

in the same boat. I had always thought Quanta were the best (when I was looking 3-4 yeas ago), but the Spectra units look pretty good, but hadn't heard any real reviews.

YY1, keep us posted on how the experience is for you.

the only bad on spectra tanks is the lock ring retainer... is weak. So when setting the lock ring to the sender, be gently.

Thanks for the heads up.

I bought mine last winter at Vans auto, ive heard someone say they were hard to work with but it all went smooth with mine and the sending unit I upgraded to 3/8.. Just throwing it in there. good luck.

RockAuto Discount Code, for anyone ordering from them---sorry YY1, I didn't see this thread til after you ordered.

Your RockAuto discount code 117004424827593 will expire on December 23, 2012.

If you or anyone you know is thinking of doing some vehicle repair, now's the time to order the parts!

Taking advantage of this discount opportunity is easy! Simply enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your parts order total. Orders using discount codes must be placed online. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

NICE... I HAVE TO HELP TO A FRIEND OF MINE TO BUY SOME 65 MUSTANG BODY PARTS, and Rock auto carries them... how much is the discount ?

Update on the install and things to watch out for.

One of the four vent line nipples was made with a much larger hose barb.
I had to use 5/16 hose on that one, even though all the originals and the other end are 1/4.

The lock ring that secures the sender and float is made different.
I failed to get it on all the way, and it leaked.
I tried to get it tighter while still on the car, but it slipped out from under one of the flange tangs and leaked worse. That SUCKED!!

After driving out most of the gas, I was able to loosen the driver side strap and undo the pass side strap, which allowed the tank to drop down enough to get a better shot at the lock ring.

I ended up using the ring from my old tank, and was able to get it tight enough to seal without the ring slipping out from under the flange.

I held them side by side, and they looked the same size.
Don't know why the new one slips out and the old one doesn't.

The new one has detents, presumably to avoid the ring backing out.
Seems like a good idea, but not if it won't work otherwise.

Happy to have it done.

I'm close to ordering the same tank...did you get everything from Rock Auto or did you get the float and such from another vendor?

I know I *should* get all new straps, hangers and such, but did you find any issues with your old ones or would you guess that they will work if you wanted to reuse them?

I'm debating if the extra $30 or so is worth getting the stainless sender (ethanol-blended gas tends to hold more water) or if an OEM material one will work fine (it's been in the car for 40 years so far).

Thanks for the update!

I just reused all the old stuff, except the soft lines.

Straps were fine, float and sender still worked (I'll just use it until it quits, if ever), etc.

The only thing I might have bought new, had I known it would be such a bitch, is the seal for the filler tube.
Mine was brittle, and it was a paint to get it out and in without cracking it, or losing a finger.

Thanks!

That was my hope...the tank/filler seal was going to be a definite along with new fuel lines.

Auto Transport Service
Back