• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank question

pearljam724

Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
Where do the 2 vent lines on an original tank route to ? I can see they go up through the trunk floor from underneath. But, where do the hoses come out at or end ?

Please take the time to read some restoration threads. The tank line that goes all the way to the filler neck end of the tank connects to the upper shock area bulkhead line. The vent line that is just inside the forward end of the tank connects to the line that goes up into the trunk and then back down into the passenger frame rail. Shine a light in the tank to see which is which.. as some OE and repro tanks swap which line is which..

Please take the time to read some restoration threads. The tank line that goes all the way to the filler neck end of the tank connects to the upper shock area bulkhead line. The vent line that is just inside the forward end of the tank connects to the line that goes up into the trunk and then back down into the passenger frame rail. Shine a light in the tank to see which is which.. as some OE and repro tanks swap which line is which..
If I run a return line from a fuel filter back to the tank vent lines. It shouldn’t matter which vent barb I choose, right ? Is one better to use than the othe for a return line ? My tank filler neck doesn’t have a vent hose attached.

That is not what they are for, if you have a full tank and have tee'd into a vent line you may just pump that return overboard and not into the tank!

That is not what they are for, if you have a full tank and have tee'd into a vent line you may just pump that return overboard and not into the tank!
I understand they are not intended for that. I’ve read many places that people run a return line to the tank from a wix fuel filter that has a return nipple attached to the filter to help against vapor lock. You couldn’t use 1 vent on tank as a return line, being you would have one more on tank remaining to vent tank ? I wouldn’t be teeing off the main fuel line, the wix filters have a designed return nipple on them. My idea won’t work ?

If you want to temp that, use the vent fitting that goes to the upper shock mount bulkhead.

If you want to temp that, use the vent fitting that goes to the upper shock mount bulkhead.
Thank you, my thinking was. I could run a rubber line and if it creates a problem I could quickly and easily remove it. I could be wrong, but if the tank only had 1 vent, then I could definitely see that as a problem. That’s what these particular Wix filters were designed to do. To return fuel to the tank to aid against vapor lock. Some different manufacturer models had them installed from the factories. I think the correct description of this filter is a vapor separator. I believe it returns vapors to tank, rather than actually fuel. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382981324826

Last edited:
The only correct way to have a return line is to use a sending unit that has the return nipple

Ok, thank you. Does anyone make one for a B Body tank ?
They are available, I have a brand new one. 3/8 line with a 1/4 return. It's one of the chinese deals though so I can't tell you anything about the accuracy of it, I never tested it. If you want it, I'll sell it to you for $35 and I'll pay the shipping on it. PM me if interested

They are available, I have a brand new one. 3/8 line with a 1/4 return. It's one of the chinese deals though so I can't tell you anything about the accuracy of it, I never tested it. If you want it, I'll sell it to you for $35 and I'll pay the shipping on it. PM me if interested
I ll take it. Sent you private message

The sending unit Vans sells for the 70 tank has the return line built into it.

Auto Transport Service
Back