• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gas tank sending unit

justjim

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
I have bought a 64 dodge 330 sedan problem is when i bought it i filled the tank up now it reads empty ran it for awhile now shows 1/4 tank filled up again now it reads empty again is it possible the sending unit is upside down and needs to be turned 180 degrees ??

Could be anything from a bad ground, bad float or bad gauge or bad sending unit. Did you change the sending unit in the tank?

Could be anything from a bad ground, bad float or bad gauge or bad sending unit. Did you change the sending unit in the tank?
no i just added gas, going to remove gas and check out the float may just have to buy a new unit.

Do a forum search on this topic. Lots of threads. Some even have instructions on how to test the sending unit. Btw, most aftermarket sending units are not accurate either so try and fix yours.

no i just added gas, going to remove gas and check out the float may just have to buy a new unit.

The float may have a pin hole in it, you may also want to order a ground strap.

Tanks inc has an interface module that matches any sender to any gauge. I got tired of trying to get my gauge right and order one and it works great. My sender is supposed to be Mopar 74- 10 but wouldn’t work properly with an Autometer Mopar gauge, it showed 1/2 tank when the tank was full. I tried a Chevy Autometer gauge, thinking maybe the sender was using 0- 90 ohms like a Chevy and that was doing exactly what your gauge does, it registered 1/4 tank and adding gas made it go to zero. I said screw this and left the Chevy Autometer gauge in and order the Tanks inc interface. I wired it in,the tank was full I set the dial to program and position 1 for full tank and adjust the needle to full and pressed save, then emptied the tank and set position 4 empty and saved. Two othe positions are available low medium I set at 3/8 of a than after adding 7 gallons and didn’t bother with high medium. I just ran out a whole tank and it works perfectly I am going to buy one for my other car.

I actually had a pinhole in the float of my old 64 A-100 Van way back when. Also. my current car lacks a ground on the fuel line as the connecting hose is too close to the sender to put a ground strap on it. To test my gauge, I put 12volts to the wire briefly to see the gauge move and it did.

KISS, start here!
What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg

Tanks inc has an interface module that matches any sender to any gauge. I got tired of trying to get my gauge right and order one and it works great. My sender is supposed to be Mopar 74- 10 but wouldn’t work properly with an Autometer Mopar gauge, it showed 1/2 tank when the tank was full. I tried a Chevy Autometer gauge, thinking maybe the sender was using 0- 90 ohms like a Chevy and that was doing exactly what your gauge does, it registered 1/4 tank and adding gas made it go to zero. I said screw this and left the Chevy Autometer gauge in and order the Tanks inc interface. I wired it in,the tank was full I set the dial to program and position 1 for full tank and adjust the needle to full and pressed save, then emptied the tank and set position 4 empty and saved. Two othe positions are available low medium I set at 3/8 of a than after adding 7 gallons and didn’t bother with high medium. I just ran out a whole tank and it works perfectly I am going to buy one for my other car.
Just viewed the video from Tanks Inc, Wow what a neat gizmo! I may have to get one to "correct" the factory oil pressure in my car.

Just viewed the video from Tanks Inc, Wow what a neat gizmo! I may have to get one to "correct" the factory oil pressure in my car.
Its saturday am. I had a few cold ones last night so I got to ask you to explain that for me. Thanks in advance.

It's likely just the varistor on the sending unit.
the contact slides along a wound wire like a spring.
It probably loses contact throughout it's range of travel.

Its saturday am. I had a few cold ones last night so I got to ask you to explain that for me. Thanks in advance.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I would be happy to. The factory oil pressure gauge in my car is inaccurate. That in itself is no surprise considering the nature of these things anyway. Replacing the oil sender with a new one made no difference whatsoever. I then verified the oil pressure with a mechanical one. Idling at fully hot temps netted me 25 psi in gear and 65 to 70 psi going down the highway. The factory gauge will read at the third mark at 25 psi and at the fourth mark (middle of the gauge) 65 to 70 psi. I accept the fact that the factory gauges are dampened and their reaction times are slow, but I'd like the range movement to be more than an eighth of the total sweep. The fuel, temp, and oil gauges all have the resistance values of between 10-15 ohms for "full", "hot", and "low". The resistance values are 70-75 ohms for "empty", "cold", and "high". The Tanks Inc video shows how to calibrate a typical fuel gauge. Granted the gauge they show in the video doesn't appear to be a dampened one but that doesn't matter. I just want to get mine to move more than an eighth of it's full travel. I did add a factory appearing warning light whos sender is set at 20 psi for activation so I don't have any low oil pressure surprises.
dZTK5TtkYoXXVpYtYB1Y86dOVgyWGqHidLTbfFYcZuKL1Kn2BU_c.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210719002.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I would be happy to. The factory oil pressure gauge in my car is inaccurate. That in itself is no surprise considering the nature of these things anyway. Replacing the oil sender with a new one made no difference whatsoever. I then verified the oil pressure with a mechanical one. Idling at fully hot temps netted me 25 psi in gear and 65 to 70 psi going down the highway. The factory gauge will read at the third mark at 25 psi and at the fourth mark (middle of the gauge) 65 to 70 psi. I accept the fact that the factory gauges are dampened and their reaction times are slow, but I'd like the range movement to be more than an eighth of the total sweep. The fuel, temp, and oil gauges all have the resistance values of between 10-15 ohms for "full", "hot", and "low". The resistance values are 70-75 ohms for "empty", "cold", and "high". The Tanks Inc video shows how to calibrate a typical fuel gauge. Granted the gauge they show in the video doesn't appear to be a dampened one but that doesn't matter. I just want to get mine to move more than an eighth of it's full travel. I did add a factory appearing warning light whos sender is set at 20 psi for activation so I don't have any low oil pressure surprises.View attachment 1143016
Ok, thanks, with the voltage limiter involved I just was not sure how or if that would fly on the oil gauge reading resistance off pressure through a voltage limiter.

Hey ,angleiron2 ,took your advice and ordered metermatch from tanks inc ,that solved by fuel gauge issues in short short and as you said very easy install and way inexpensive! Thanks for the heads up !

Anyone Rebuilding the tank senders Reasonably ?

Anyone Rebuilding the tank senders Reasonably ?
I'd love to have done so - I found out too late that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, makes a decent
replacement sending unit for late 60's b-bodies in the aftermarket.
They're all Chinese crap and none read correctly - and some of them leak no matter what you do.
If someone would come out with a decent replacement unit for these cars, they'd stand to make some
serious loot!

I have had gas tank senders rebuilt bt John Wolf co in Ohio. I have had good results from them and quick turn-around time.

This was a couple of years ago but I think 125.00. I thought well worth it to have one that would work.

Needing a sending unit for my 67gtx build and not having any, I purchased a couple only to find out the truth of the matter , no dependable resource, but this meter match , is the cat’s banana! It really works well , and with repop junk as well ! $84 bucks + shipping ! Tanks inc , watch the video

Auto Transport Service
Back