• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank vents

Mike Szadaj

Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
1968 Coronet RT, 440 basically stock. On this car the tank has 4 inlets/outlets not counting the filler neck. A supply, a return, and 2 vents. One vent goes into the trunk, up the side of the wheel well, and back out. The other one connects to the frame with the open end pointed down. What are the functions of the 2 vents? They obviously perform differently. I filled up with gas and when I got home there was some gas that leaked out under the car. When I checked it out the rubber tube attached to the outside vent had come off of the tank. I replaced it with a new piece, but I couldn't do a test drive because of rain and no wipers.

Internal vent tube that runs through the tank and up to the filler neck area is the one that connects to the rear shock attach bulkheads tube. The short vent in the tank is the one that connects to the vent that runs up into the trunk and back out. They make sure you are vented going up or down hill with a completely full tank. Many repro tanks have the vent lines backwards, why you have to look in and verify that you get them hooked up correct..

Auto Transport Service
Back