• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasket sealer?

74gtx

Local time
6:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m changing valve cover gaskets and was wondering if anyone uses sealer on them? I have felpro rubber gaskets. Thanks!

I use cork gaskets, but I put a really thin layer of orange Permatex on the valve cover and put gasket in place. It never leaks

Thank you. The only set they had was rubber. I’ll put a thin bead on them. Have a great weekend!

A few of us racers use weatherstrip adhesive and stick the rubber gasket to the valve cover for easy removal and install with no leaking issues. That way the gaskets are reusable. JMO. ruffcut

I use a small bead of Hylomar blue on the valve cover and stick the gasket to it, with no sealer between the head and gasket...but I have a solid cam so I'm periodically removing the covers.
The MOST important thing is that the surfaces are flat. If they're true, you really don't need any sealer at all, just a good gasket.
I prefer the Hylomar because it seals well without hardening, it doesn't get gooey and ooze out when it gets hot, and it allows gaskets/parts to be removed without damage. Wipes off clean with a little acetone (or their own aerosol cleaner).

Cork gaskets, no sealer, no leaks, can remove and reinstall the covers just fine. Make sure the stamped steel covers are flat. Clean very well with brake cleaner until the rag is clean when wiping. The heads take several times wiping because of the rough texture on the cast iron.

I tried the expensive and fancy route on the Bee and fought them leaking out the back and down the block. Back to basics when I did the 340 in the Dart. Dolly all the mounting areas flat, cheap old cork and zero sealer = ZERO leakage the first shot.
1969dartcleanupweek9 106.JPG

It doesn’t take all the trick products to stop oil leaks. Stick to the basics.

Cork gaskets and no sealer, how can this be?

Would I be better of finding cork gaskets? I don’t really want to do this again anytime soon. The a/c lines make it a little tough. Thanks Mike

Funny how 40 years ago I would do this stuff and not give it a second thought and have no issues. This thing is leaking like the Exxon Valdez. Oh well. I’ll try cork gaskets this time. Thanks guys for the replys. Mike.

Any recommendations on how to straighten the valve covers? They are stock stamped steel and pretty bent up at the mounting holes. At least I found the problem! Thanks. Mike

Sorry for the dumb question. Is Indian Hess a sealer?

2x4 or 2x6 on the top side supporting the rail. Turn it over and tap with hammer. It will straighten the lip. I use a regular hammer and strike it flat. Practice on one at the junkyard if you need to.

Before installing clean it very well with brake clean. Wipe many times changing to a clean part of the rag. Should be clean on the rag, then you have it clean. Clean the bolts and the bolt holes also.

Don’t overtighen. Let it sit before running and snug them up as gasket compresses. After running it hot and cool down snug up the bolts.

Indian head is a very sticky sealer, it is hard to remove later. That’s why I don’t use any sealer on valve covers.

CBCC57AC-2F7D-4FC2-8E52-245A625D74AA.jpeg CF5ADF0C-E04B-4FA8-9B42-D98FF7D7804C.jpeg 2CE72F01-E568-4C11-A349-97567B34FDA3.jpeg 324C06F6-6FDB-46FA-9971-28FEEE4DAAA8.jpeg

Thanks for the tips! I’ll give it a shot. Mike

Thanks for the help. I finally got around to Straightening the valve covers and cleaning them really well. Are used fell pro cork gasket and glued them to the valve cover. I only see one tiny drop under it and I am hoping it is from all of the oil previously. Thanks again. Mike

I have never been able to get the fancy rubber valve cover gaskets to seal. Recently went through 3 sets, used the NAPA black stuff and they would always leak, usually because the thinner width of the rubber gaskets would allow the gasket to move and leak. I finally went to the common cork gasket, used a bit of the black stuff and they sealed the first time. You will see that the cork gasket covers the entire width of the valve cover gasket space where the rubber ones don't.

Auto Transport Service
Back