• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gaskets and Sealer

50 Coupe

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
I'm updating a long block for a 383 big block. Is there a guide or resource to consult as to which gaskets need sealer and what kind to use for a new water pump and housing, timing chain cover, fuel pump, oil pump and oil pan?
Thanks

I'm updating a long block for a 383 big block. Is there a guide or resource to consult as to which gaskets need sealer and what kind to use for a new water pump and housing, timing chain cover, fuel pump, oil pump and oil pan?
Thanks

If you're looking for sealants and similar products, consider Permatex. They offer a variety of products for every application. www.permatex.com.
BOB RENTON

I'm partial to Loctite 518. Red opaque material that can replace a gasket if both surfaces are flat.
I coat both sides of the gasket. Absolutely no leaks ever!

OK. I do have a can of Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant (80062). Just didn't know if different parts required different stuff. Been decades since I have done a motor and there are way more products and process these days. Looks like this stuff will work for all of it.
Thanks Guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back