• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gathering parts for another 511 stroker

451Mopar

Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
I have been away from actually working on the cars for the last few years.
Stating to gathering up parts for another 440 4.250" stroker build.
What I already have sitting in the garage:
440 Block, I think 1966 casting? And I hope the bores clean up at 4.375" (0.055 over.)
B-1 B/S heads off my old 451 stroker, rebuilt with new valves, but needing valve springs.
I have the rocker arms (1.6:1 ratio), so that will save $$$. I think I have the head studs too, or at leas a partial kit if I didn't steel some parts for other engines?
Have a Holley street dominator intake (need for hood clearance), and a bunch of carbs on the shelf, along with a new engine damper and some new Clevite coated 2.200" rod bearings (742-HNK)

What I bought so far:
A lightweight 4340 4.25" stroker crank, and 4340 7.1" I-Beam rods with arp200 bolts, and the Icon 842 (26.7 cc dish) pistons, Piston rings, and an oil filter. Compression should be around 11:1 (need to cc the heads to know for sure.).
Spent about $2,000 on the parts so far.

I didn't but a balanced kit, so will need to have the rotating assembly balanced (more $$$.)

Next to procure are main cap studs, crank and cam bearings, core plugs, oil pump, and parts not valve train related.

Haven't decided on the cam yet. This is a street engine, so something mild, maybe a solid roller around 250 duration @ 0.050, and 0.620" lift. This will decide which valve springs I get.

Recommend some valve springs. Been looking at the lighter (around 500 rate) K-1100, K-1150 springs?

I have some used PAC-1325 springs, but I think they would be overkill and stronger than needed with the cam I'm thinking of (Voodoo solid roller SKU 40230733)

Last edited:
Are there headers available for the BS heads where the spark plug access isn’t miserable?

One of my friends had those heads in his Charger with a couple different sets of headers(hooker 2”, Tti 2-2 1/8).
Plug access was not at all good with either set.

Which car are you building this beast for? Coronet?? Inquiring minds want to know..Lol

Do you still have the headers when you ran the b1's in your charger or did they stay w the car?
Our 2 1/8 super comps were originally on a orig. B1 452 in the Cuda we use to run in the early 90s. Not on the street at all though..wires had to last 1/4 miles a time. Don't know how the original differ from B/S on plugs?

Last edited:
I read as far as B1 BS heads and then lost interest...........
Good luck. I looked at using those head before and it just looked like a lot of pain with little reward.

Last edited:
Don't know how the original differ from B/S on plugs?

In a nutshell....... the BS heads have raised ex ports...... and straight plugs.

No doubt, BS heads can make good power........ there are just better..... easier.......options out there now that work at least as well.

My friend had the BS’s on both a 446 and a 528.
440-1’s replaced them on the 528........ and the plug access problem just went away.

Koffel just never finished the job. Had they worked with TTI to build a BS specific header it would've gone better. They developed the head a long time ago but never finished the project. Just like they never bothered to cast a RB version of their B1 intake.

If I had more $$$$, I would just get another set of of TF240's like the last 505 engine.
Actually, the last 505 TF240 engine was supposed to be for the Jensen, but being out of work at the time, I sold it to a friend for his car.
So this engine is for the Jensen (maybe), or I may put it in the convertible and take the stealth headed 505 in the convertible and put it in the Jensen.
The B-1 B/S heads I have had since the 1990's when they first came out. When I got them the ends of the heads were not drilled for the accessories at that time.
Koffels did their stage 1 porting on them. I ran the heads on my 451" 400 block for years until a valve broke and tore up the engine and head.
A few years ago, I had the heads repaired, and bought new Manely severe duty valves, but they have just been sitting around.
Main reason I'm going to use them is I also have the rocker arms for them, so save more money there too.

A bit of history: At the time (1990's) There was not much selection of heads or stroker kits. Mopar had the Stage VI head, Indy had the 440C (forgot when they started making the aluminum version, the Koffels Original B1, and the B-1 B/S, and the Stage v hemi conversion heads. I think at some time there was a bulldog? head or such. Edelbrock was a long way off from making the RPM head. Real stroker engines at the time were very expensive, so the low deck 400 was stuffed with the crank and rods from a 440, but with lightweight ross pistons. Anyhow, it is great that there are so many different and affordable heads and stroker kits now.

As for headers, When the 451 low deck was in the Charger I ran the Hooker 2" Super Comp headers, and beat them up a bit for clearance. They were not all that bad fitting because I was using a low deck block to start with. On the 440, headers could be an issue. For the Jensen, I was planning on making custom headers anyway. FWIW, the 2" Hookers fit worse on the Edelbrock MW Victor heads.

The only other set of heads I have on the shelf are my old Edelbrock MW Victors (the newer ones on the Charger are the Hughes CNC ported version), but I don't have a rocker system for the old set of heads, also I don't need that power level and want to stay with the stock size intake ports.

Anyhow, with the dished pistons, I could swap heads later on if needed.
Right now, I'm thinking about the oiling system. The Jensen uses a remote mounted oil filter. I have a new HV pump with a single inlet, and the fittings for a remote mount filter, and haven't decided if I should just go with the remote pickup, or use the internal pickup? The oil pump used to be sold by 440 source, and looks alot like the 200-1101, but without the filter adaptor. I'm curious if there are the holes for the remote filter under the filter adaptor?

Once I verify the block I have is good and will clean up, I think I may try the Glyptol paint in the valley area just to see if it makes a difference?

I'm suprised no comments about using the I-Beam rods? I will weigh them and compare to what the H-beam rods weighed.

Not my build(or my $$$), but I’d sell both sets of heads you have that are sitting on the shelf, and buy what you really want.

My recollection on the time frame is, Indy -1’s came out in ‘91, and it wasn’t too long after that the SR’s came out.

When my friend bought his BS’s for his 446 build, he was bouncing back and forth between those and the SR’s.
It came down to rationalizing that the smaller runner of the BS would probably leave harder with his 3900lb car, and that the CR would be higher without needing a dome.
That combo ran pretty well overall. The main bitch was the plug access.
When he built a 528, and moved the whole BS top over to that motor........ the heads were basically “too small”, and the motor peaked pretty early.
Nonetheless, the car still ran well....... and that combo was run for several years.

My recollection is the Ede’s came out a couple years before the Bulldogs.
The Bulldogs were pretty short lived.

It took porting a couple sets of SR’s before I really had a handle on how to wake those up.

Until the TF’s arrived on the scene, the EZ heads were by far the easiest of the “street” HP heads to make real power with.
The SR’s might be slightly better in terms of max power, but if you’re reworking them by hand the EZ’s were...... “EZ-er”.

I agree sell the BS heads and the MW Victors and use the cash to buy TF240 heads with rockers. Clean out the shop and use the cash for something that will work on your combo without any hassle.

I don't mind running something a bit different on my projects, and you are reviving something that you have a long history with. Fwiw.. We still have one of the earliest set of stage VI heads made, Ray Barton cleaned up the bowls and flowed them for a magazine in the early 90s and I think the heads we have were the first flow numbers published, and quite frankly stock they did not flow as good as many of the ported cast iron heads around then. But we have had them this long...using them again is a bit nostalgic to me (we have it about back together again)...and they are probably worth more to us then anyone else.
If I remember right the T&d rockers for the original b1 were near 2k back in 93. That was a lot of money back then, still is now.Lol

Last edited:
I think I bought the B/S heads around 1991 or 1992? The Indy SRs were not out at the time.
The B/S spark plugs are angled and more towards the center of the chamber.
For the TF240 #6161T784-C00 (roller spring version) is $2,398 for heads, and $965.99 For the HS #S70016KE rockers, plus $99.99 for Arp Head bolts and $59.99 for the rocker hold down studs, so total = $3,523.97

Not sure how much I can get for my other heads? Even though I have no problem with the B-1 B/S for this engine. The compression is a bit higher that I would like for lower altitude, but should be fine on pump gas with my altitude (as long as intake temps don't get too high.) This will have some type of EFI, maybe a Sniper?

Auto Transport Service
Back