• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear oil and sure grip additive

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
0A326A7B-4F9C-4A6D-B332-10AD757EB76D.jpeg
83E74C10-16C5-40C4-A338-D8CDC24F1A0E.jpeg
0A326A7B-4F9C-4A6D-B332-10AD757EB76D.jpeg
83E74C10-16C5-40C4-A338-D8CDC24F1A0E.jpeg
This oil says recommended for limited slip diffs. Do I still need the 4 oz additive for sure grip?

I'd put it in, won't hurt anything.

Used Mobil 1 that says limited slip friction modifier included but the Power Lock in my Dana 70 is chattering. Haven't done any figure 8's and have about 150 miles on it now but have never done figure 8's with anything else for the last 30+ years and have been fine.

I talked to Cass (Dr Diff) about this once and he stated that it will work for a short period but useing the ford additive will last the longest. Regular diff lube with the ford additive is the best combo. Even other friction additives don't last as long as the ford does.

Used Mobil 1 that says limited slip friction modifier included but the Power Lock in my Dana 70 is chattering. Haven't done any figure 8's and have about 150 miles on it now but have never done figure 8's with anything else for the last 30+ years and have been fine.
I had to ad an extra tube of Mopar limited slip additive to the 68 RR I had and do the figure 8 thing before it quit chattering. I just assumed it was my setup. That did fix it.

The Lucas spec's say it has the additive in it. Got this off the Summit ad.

If you don’t want chattering, put the ferd stuff in it. That’s what use, without exception!

Man, I miss the sperm whale oil! The whales probably don't miss dying to provide it though.
Mike
PS: I do miss the smell!

Wish I'd bought and stashed a few cases in '80 or so, but who would have known the real stuff would disappear. Had just enough to fill the Bee's rear end.
beerestoration2017 1966.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back