• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gen 3 choice

mrtrim

Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
I have a choice between a 2005 or 2009 jeep 5.7 engine for a engine swap for my charger, I would like to use the 2009 engine because it has more horsepower, but some of the forums I have read says not to use the 2009 engine because of the vvt for people that have done the swap what would be your choice ? both jeeps are complete with front end damage. Thanks for your help Monte

I have a choice between a 2005 or 2009 jeep 5.7 engine for a engine swap for my charger, I would like to use the 2009 engine because it has more horsepower, but some of the forums I have read says not to use the 2009 engine because of the vvt for people that have done the swap what would be your choice ? both jeeps are complete with front end damage. Thanks for your help Monte

Hi Monte
What is the issue with the VVTI ?
Planning the change the cam?
Thats no big problem as far as I know.
And if You use a proper PCM it has control over the VVTI action.
Im using a 2016 5,7 with a harness and PCM from Mopar Performance
I also plan a upgrade in the CAM departement in the near future.

If I was building a car for the track I'd go with the non VVT. But if your building a street car id go with the VVT. I have a 2016 VVT in my 69 roadrunner and love it Its badass.

It will be a cruiser I will not be upgrading the engine, thank you very much for the information. Monte

We all know what opinions are good for but in my experience, I don't much care for the VVT with a decent sounding exhaust. I put a Borla exhaust system on my 05 300C and can't stand the rice grinder sound when it goes into 4 cyl mode. I've been thinking about putting the stock exhaust back on for that reason. I'm thankful the 6.1 I have in my 68 Charger doesn't have that feature even though it costs me about 2 mpg between the two cars

I have the Jeep in my shop I know I need the engine,harness,gas pedal,fuel pump, for someone that has stripped their own vehicle for the swap the jeep has to go back to the salvage yard so I would like to get everything I need before I take it back. Thanks Monte

There are a lot of Gen 3 swaps into our old B body cars on this site dealing with the parts needed. With all the new technology some is now obsolete but I'm not sure the engine harness and fuel pump from the Jeep will do you much good. I think you will need to do some research on what will and won't work as far as the transmission and computer components.

Auto Transport Service
Back