• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 3 external dimensions

Dave532

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
Stupid question but I wanted to verify that the external dimensions
of the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 are all the same? I will put a 6.4 in my Charger but I don't
want to buy a new 6.4 if it will sit without starting for a year.

I would like to put a junk Gen 3 in the car to fit everything first....IF all gen 3's are the
same dimensions externally.

Not concerned about wiring, accessories, etc...just want accurate trans, driveshaft and diff line-up with an eventual 6.4 crate engine.

-Dave

I believe the 5.7 and 6.4 use the same block. I can’t speak to other dimensions. I have a 6.1 that has 6.1 cast in the side and it has some differences. 5.7’s are plentiful and if you are going 6.4, that would work. Here is a decent link http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-171906.html There might also be one of those foam mock-up blocks available for these engines if you didn’t actually want to bolt up the transmission.

Thanks for the response. I did verify the dimensions were the same and I found a 5.7 block locally for cheap to mock up the driveline with.

Auto Transport Service
Back