• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen III Hemi tick - also a good explanation of HV vs HP oil pumps in general

gkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
I don't own a Gen III hemi but I found this interesting anyway

Long winded prick! Probably could have covered all that in 1/2 the time. Anyway, if there are cam lobe hardening issues, no oil pump on the planet will help, just prolong the inevitable. If you're smoking those lifters/lobes on a roller cam, best get them both out of there before you cause some REAL damage.

I've owned a half dozen 5.7 "hemi" critters over the years, including two now - one of
which was the first one I ever bought ('04 Ram SLT 4x4, 180k miles); the wife's current
'12 Charger R/T has 80k on it, also with zero issues.
Every dang one of them never offered a moments' problem and all of them have reached
impressive mileage before I sold or traded them.

Conclusions? I have two about these engines:
1. They're darn reliable and quicker than you think.
2. You got to keep the oil changed in them, preferably with a quality full synthetic.
Hey, it's worked for me.

My 2020 Ram 2500 6.4 manual says to use Pennzoil Ultra platinum 0W40. Also says that ticking is normal.
As far as oil pressure, if I remember right, at idle is about 20 PSI hot. By about 1500 RPM it’s in the mid 30’s.

I used to have an '05 Magnum with a 5.7 Hemi. The only time I really heard the tick was if I was at a drive-thru' window and could hear it bounced back from the wall. I asked the service guys at local dealership and was told not to worry about it, "It's a Hemi thing.". I always wondered if I was hearing the injectors. Service guys also said not not run thicker oil to try and get rid of the noise, because this would bugger up cylinder deactification.

Cams weren’t the issues its the lifter roller bearings would fail, roller stays put and eats itself and the cam. I’ve done a bunch of cams. Poor oil quality and no changes with lots of idle time seemed to kill the ones I worked on. Mine has 200k or better and does well , my 6.1 and kids 5.7 are great a little noise here and there. The valve train design is what I think causes it. Early ones had dropped seat issues once in awhile with valve spring failure but in reality a dam good engine! 8-9 k hours and the short blocks looked great on the inside. I’ve seen a few of the rods fail why I can only think abuse.. They are excellent engines!

Not much, if any, oil gets to the roller. To solve the issue permanently, a groove needs to be cut into the lifter so oil can get to the roller easier and a groove inside the lifter bore. Problem solved.

No problems here. 0-30 in the 5.7’s, 10-40 Amsoil in the decrepit, 0-40 in the HC and SP.
No ticks.
338F011A-8051-4310-A9B3-509320C19342.png

Auto Transport Service
Back