• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General Lee HATER omg WFT!!!

OG max wedge

Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
So the other day I was watching “rides” on TV the one where Kenny Wayne Sheppard has a General Lee built, the builder goes on to tell stories of the 178 1969 chargers he built for the Dukes of Hazard TV show, and they showed a few clips from the show. I come to find out that they cars were built not too far from my house and most of the footage was shot even closer, I remember back in the day seeing a few car transport trucks carrying a hand full of General Lees down the freeway a few times and I remember in the early 80’s seeing a few at pick-a-part…

Anyways, when I was a young man and growing up in a mopar only house hold I remember my dad not letting anyone watch that damn show just because they killed so many cool cars, to this day whenever I see one at a car show I want to punch the owner in the face just for supporting the killing of so many cool cars…

The other night after watching the “Rides” show I decided to DVR the Dukes of Hazard TV shows just to see what’s up… ok I’d have to admit watching old TV shows is fun just to see the old cars but after watching 3 Dukes shows I might be just as pissed as my dad was when I was in high school. Sure killing the chargers is bad enough but why in the world would they try to wreck so many not to mention all the rest of the cars as well… I just don’t get it..
I have lost plenty of sleep since tuning in to that show and I will keep watching but I cannot be held responsible for may actions next time I am lurking around at the car shows

IS IT JUST ME ? OR DO OTHERS FEEL THE SAME WAY?

Nope. Love the show, just like A-Team, Knight Rider, Viper, etc. Have the first four seasons of Dukes on DVD. Not having cable growing up I was deprived a bit. :( Missed the show for the most part. Then one night they ran a special on one of the network channels where they showed some clips and brought most of the old cast together. I was supposed to be in bed, but instead I snuck down the hallway to watch it. :D

Best General Lee I ever saw was at a show here in Jersey. The owner's buddy runs Roscoe's police cruiser. Done up quite nicely with some props.

SINJ2105.jpg

SINJ2104.jpg

SINJ2103.jpg

SINJ2102.jpg

SINJ2101.jpg

SINJ2097.jpg

SINJ2098.jpg

SINJ2099.jpg

SINJ2100.jpg

yea, but think about all the people who got there first look into mopars because of it. Kind of a even trade off. Mopars like other brands need to have followers to survive.that show created quite a few... IMO

Because they destroyed so many of them, then the subsequent morons at the demolition derby or roundy rounds with general lee look a likes destroyed even more, it just increased the value of the ones that were left.

Not just you. I remember watching the first episode and thought the show was 'entertaining'. The first season was all right but then they realized who their audience was (not me) the writing got REAL stupid and the number of chases and crashes went up. Click.....

I suppose if you were 10-12 years old at the time the show was on it was cool but I find the whole GL culture rather odd for grown men.

So the other day I was watching “rides” on TV the one where Kenny Wayne Sheppard has a General Lee built, the builder goes on to tell stories of the 178 1969 chargers he built for the Dukes of Hazard TV show, and they showed a few clips from the show. I come to find out that they cars were built not too far from my house and most of the footage was shot even closer, I remember back in the day seeing a few car transport trucks carrying a hand full of General Lees down the freeway a few times and I remember in the early 80’s seeing a few at pick-a-part…

Anyways, when I was a young man and growing up in a mopar only house hold I remember my dad not letting anyone watch that damn show just because they killed so many cool cars, to this day whenever I see one at a car show I want to punch the owner in the face just for supporting the killing of so many cool cars…

The other night after watching the “Rides” show I decided to DVR the Dukes of Hazard TV shows just to see what’s up… ok I’d have to admit watching old TV shows is fun just to see the old cars but after watching 3 Dukes shows I might be just as pissed as my dad was when I was in high school. Sure killing the chargers is bad enough but why in the world would they try to wreck so many not to mention all the rest of the cars as well… I just don’t get it..
I have lost plenty of sleep since tuning in to that show and I will keep watching but I cannot be held responsible for may actions next time I am lurking around at the car shows

Would it bother you if a new series came along and it featured a 1999 Camaro or 1999 Mustang as the lead car and they ended up wrecking a bunch?

Because they destroyed so many of them, then the subsequent morons at the demolition derby or roundy rounds with general lee look a likes destroyed even more, it just increased the value of the ones that were left.

And that too is a shame. between them and Barrett Jackson, the common folks like us end up not being able to afford these cool cars.....

Having kids that grew up watching that show ( I personally have never seen a complete episode of it ever) I can see the facination with the grown men today wanting to relive some of the youth and building something that reminds them of it.

I like a lot of different kinds of music from classical, rock, country, and modern. I don't like rap but I don't complain about it like my parents did about rock & roll when I was a kid. If we are going to push our youth away rather than embrace them they will move further away from the mainstream just to spite use. We all need to see the other guys point of view and allow it if we want this hobby to maintain and grow. We can't push the youth away if this is going to happen. The General Lee culture is not even the YOUTH of today but rather the middle age people. I am an old guy (60) and have seen a lot of changes in the last 45 years and those are MY thoughts on it.

As far as the destruction of the cars from that series, yes, it hurts the hobby today but they were just old cars then. If you have a problem with this then you would have had a heart attack on any given day 30 years ago at a salvage yard watching what they crushed.

And that too is a shame. between them and Barrett Jackson, the common folks like us end up not being able to afford these cool cars.....
I agree. I am not a fan of the dukes series and not a fan of general lee clones at all I've seen people take perfectly good 69 charger rt cars and clone them and it's kinda gettin' old. The charger is legendary enough w/o being ugly hugger orange and slapped w' stars and bars.

There was a Charger in that show? All I remember is Daisys shorts and legs.

I watched a lot of American TV shows and movies when I was a kid in the late 70's (yeah, we had electricity in Australia then) and I cringed each and every time I saw something nice get destroyed and it seemed to happen in every damn show, so many great cars wasted and I still blame you blokes for letting it happen. =-)

I was eleven years old when the show came on the air and my parents could not get me away from the TV on Friday nights.
As an adult,when TNN was on the air and began showing reruns,again you could not pull me away.
It is entertainment.
it also fueled my Mopar addiction.
Sure it sucks a lot of cars were destroyed--but that's what they did and at the time they were just old cars before the musclecar boom blew up shortly after the show was cancelled.

Nobody would have thought that the cars would be so valuable,more collectible and rare as they are now today.

i think you are making much ado over nothing. the show ended over 20 years ago and there is absolutely nothing you can do about the past unless you just invented a time machine.

i do not think those that restore jenny lee's out there support the show through the destruction of chargers, but rather resurrect chargers to put back on the road.

so next time, when you feel the urge to punch someone over them driving a general lee, do us all a favor and just punch yourself right in the face because (1) you are taking this way too personal, bordering on compulsion and (2) who in the hell are you to tell someone how they should restore their car? Would you want me coming to your house criticizing everything you do to yours? I didnt think so.

This general lee "hater" bullshit is so old and outdated I do not understand why people even bring it up. No offense man, but if someone comes up to tell me how, why, where, or what I should do with my car... then I should punch them in the nose for being opinionated, condescending A-holes who need to jump down from their pedestal and worry about their own restorations.

stepping off soapbox now.

Would it bother you if a new series came along and it featured a 1999 Camaro or 1999 Mustang as the lead car and they ended up wrecking a bunch?

yup, it sure would... love those cars too..., why can't they go after the hondas ot toyotas... wouldn't bother me it the least!

i think you are making much ado over nothing. the show ended over 20 years ago and there is absolutely nothing you can do about the past unless you just invented a time machine.

i do not think those that restore jenny lee's out there support the show through the destruction of chargers, but rather resurrect chargers to put back on the road.

so next time, when you feel the urge to punch someone over them driving a general lee, do us all a favor and just punch yourself right in the face because (1) you are taking this way too personal, bordering on compulsion and (2) who in the hell are you to tell someone how they should restore their car? Would you want me coming to your house criticizing everything you do to yours? I didnt think so.

This general lee "hater" bullshit is so old and outdated I do not understand why people even bring it up. No offense man, but if someone comes up to tell me how, why, where, or what I should do with my car... then I should punch them in the nose for being opinionated, condescending A-holes who need to jump down from their pedestal and worry about their own restorations.

stepping off soapbox now.

dude "punch in the face" is just a figure of speach and when i do see someone with a "lee" car i keep my mouth shut... it dosen'r botter me all that much... esides i punch myself in the face everyhting i think howmany cars i could have stashed away back in the day!

Didn't and don't care for the show, but love to see the General Lee.

Im Mopar all the way, loved the General Lee as a kid and I am building a 69 Charger General Lee now, and as someone else stated that show did a lot for Mopars, How many 68-70 Chargers have been taken off the road due to accidents and crashes? I would bet money on a whole lot more than the 300 that were "Jumped" In the show! (Which many jumped cars were rebuilt!) So you watched a episode of Rides where they make a General Lee but then you want to "punch the guys that have General Lee's in the face?" Sounds like you need to go drink some Haterade.

Im Mopar all the way, loved the General Lee as a kid and I am building a 69 Charger General Lee now, and as someone else stated that show did a lot for Mopars, How many 68-70 Chargers have been taken off the road due to accidents and crashes? I would bet money on a whole lot more than the 300 that were "Jumped" In the show! (Which many jumped cars were rebuilt!) So you watched a episode of Rides where they make a General Lee but then you want to "punch the guys that have General Lee's in the face?" Sounds like you need to go drink some Haterade.

haterade... yumm

Loved the show when I was young, not really knowing what a muscle car was ( I think I was 10 or so when the show was on). Now I boycott the show, not the car, since its not tthe car or the owners fault.

I was at a car show, probably in the early 80s and a guy had a GL, and a big scrap book of pics. One was of a big fenced holding yard full of orange Chargers. I asked where these are, wrecked he said.

He worked on the set and it was his job to go with the car to the junkyard when it couldn't be fixed any longer and stand there a watch the car be crushed.

I accuse the show for being the reason I will probably never have a Charger since it probably increased the value be decreasing its population. Always wanted a 68, can't find one that's not a basket case or outragiously priced.

Auto Transport Service
Back