• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Generators

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
I’m in need of a Generator due to the FACT that PG&E can’t give me reliable power in Shandon Commiefornia. Anytime there’s a “problem” with power, we lose it. I’ve lost power more times in the last year since we moved here from the Central Valley than I did the last 30 years over there. I’m f’n tired of it. Yesterday we lost power for 8 hours, noon till 8 and that early morning we lost it from 12:30am to 1:00 am.

Been looking at the Predator 9000 since it gets really good reviews. It should be able to power the entire house, or so some videos that I’ve watched, say it can. But if it can’t keep the ac going, that’s fine.

I had an electrician come out and he quoted 12k for a Generac 14k watt installed. After he left, I laughed, loudly, as the generator is 4K so that 8k in parts/labor and NO Permit, 14k with permit.

Looking for some advice on “portable” one that I can put in an enclosure, and a what parts I’ll need to hook it to my panel.

I've been toying with getting a generator. I got the same amount quote for a generac. The fact that install costs more than the product is crazy. I myself would get a tri-fuel generator (natural gas/propane/gas) because I have natural gas at my house. Mine would be installed where its EASY to access, start, hook up, ect in a black out. My father in law had one hooked up but never ran it because the power always went out when the weather was crappy and would rather wait it out than get wet lol.

Did you watch this video?

You do realize that once you buy a generator, that you’ll never loose power again?

Seriously, it is cheap insurance though. I’ve had a 5000w Coleman Commercial ( gas powered) for years and have an pigtail cord plugged into a 30a 220v receptacle wired to a power transfer switch and sub panel with 4 circuits. I can keep some lights on, run the boiler, run 1 fridge at a time, and be pretty comfortable. Ran it for a week straight after Sandy but not too many times since then. I want to say it ran about 12 hours on 5 gallons. Start it once in a while with Seafoam in the gas then run it out of fuel.

I have a Coleman 6250/5000 (no longer made) that will run nearly everything in my 2000 sq/ft house except the central AC/heat.
It will run 2x window units sized for 12x12 rooms, along with the frige, all the lights and a fan or 2. Probably won't run the stove unless one or both window ACs are off

I made my own "back-feed" connection with 240v with neutral "twist-lock" plug and sockets (and also use this to power a 240v compressor, utilizing a circuit for a hot tub that I am currently removing.

You just have to remember to manually turn off the main breaker (and both AC breakers) before turning on the back-feed breaker.

The generator was $429 in 2004, the wiring from the panel to the outdoor disconnect was already in place, and the remainder (twist-locs, weather tight box, #10 wire, etc) was about $40.

Ran during hurricane Irma all afternoon the following day and overnight until the power came back on around 8:00 am. Did not check the fuel tank afterwards.

Be aware that an automatic changeover is not instantaneous.
Unless you are a hospital or the phone company, they are just not cost effective.
Even large scale business with data centers (where I work) routinely have a 15 second or more delay.

My plan to finish things off is to install eye bolts in the concrete near my side door and chain the generator to them. I may build a collapsible roof, but intend to keep the generator out of sight, locked up in the garage if not needed. They are a high theft item, esp in hurricane season.

Last edited:
A generator interlock kit is a safe and cheap bet for the power switching. Not allowed here in Ontario. Reason they say is because the interlock attaches to the panel cover. If the cover is removed the interlock is useless.

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-In...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276308266377&psc=1

71ZWJvkfBdL._SL1280_.jpg

I was going to outfit the new garage to be generator ready with a spot on the south side. Ended up not doing it due to garage funds at the time. The new panel can be outfitted down the road if I go that way. I was looking at a Generac unit that runs on NG as the house is plumbed already with it. That way, don't have to worry about keeping gasoline on hand. The ones I was looking at can be set to exercise periodically so they stay limbered up plus outfit it to come on automatically when there is an issue. Where you're at in east SLO county is like when were were in east San Diego county when power would get cut off due to lack of power line maintenance. We didn't do one down there but the shut offs are way more frequent now like for you. If you are on propane at home, maybe tap it into that. And the county does not need anymore funds to squander from a permit.

You do realize that once you buy a generator, that you’ll never loose power again?

We had a whole house generator installed when Submit and I had our house built 2 years ago & we lost power once for about an hour.

If you do not fully understand what could go wrong with manual hookup pay the extra for a proper ATS and panel so you do not injure or kill anyone

We do have NG, but the Electrician said that the Generac would need an 1.250 gas line to it and it’ll use a lot of NG. He did say it was a 30-40 second delay before coming online.

I did see that video, and **** ton of others. If the 8 gallon tank can get through 8 hours of non street power, I’m good with that. Also the kids have go karts, I keep gas on hand.

Our stove, heater and dryer are NG. So the biggest energy consumption would be the ac, but if it can’t do the ac, at least the ceiling fans will work and we should ok in the summer.

That interlock is what I was seeing on a lot of the videos, so I’d use one.

If you go gasoline, maybe keep an extra 10-20 gallons around just in case. Cycle it through use with the small engines, keep it treated for long term storage too. That will benefit the other users in the process.

I did see that video, and **** ton of others. If the 8 gallon tank can get through 8 hours of non street power, I’m good with that. Also the kids have go karts, I keep gas on hand.

If worse comes to worse you can always siphon gas from your vehicles. I had to do that for a few days until some gas stations had power restored. I understand that some newer stations have backup power now.

The way the kids use the go kart and my lawn tractor, gas around hear NEVER goes bad. But yes, Stabil will be used for the generator. HF is having a sale on the Predator 9000, $700.

I have a Coleman 6250/5000 (no longer made) that will run nearly everything in my 2000 sq/ft house except the central AC/heat.
It will run 2x window units sized for 12x12 rooms, along with the frige, all the lights and a fan or 2. Probably won't run the stove unless one or both window ACs are off

I made my own "back-feed" connection with 240v with neutral "twist-lock" plug and sockets (and also use this to power a 240v compressor, utilizing a circuit for a hot tub that I am currently removing.

You just have to remember to manually turn off the main breaker (and both AC breakers) before turning on the back-feed breaker.

The generator was $429 in 2004, the wiring from the panel to the outdoor disconnect was already in place, and the remainder (twist-locs, weather tight box, #10 wire, etc) was about $40.

Ran during hurricane Irma all afternoon the following day and overnight until the power came back on around 8:00 am. Did not check the fuel tank afterwards.

Be aware that an automatic changeover is not instantaneous.
Unless you are a hospital or the phone company, they are just not cost effective.
Even large scale business with data centers (where I work) routinely have a 15 second or more delay.

My plan to finish things off is to install eye bolts in the concrete near my side door and chain the generator to them. I may build a collapsible roof, but intend to keep the generator out of sight, locked up in the garage if not needed. They are a high theft item, esp in hurricane season.
I had one of those. Bought it in 2004. With the direct hit of two hurricanes that year, we were without power for a total of 4 1/2 weeks. It drank up a lot of gas and was the loudest gen I ever heard. I finally got rid of it a few years ago. Figure we could move out to the camper in that situation again. According to a commercial I saw, one could just plug in their electric Ford p/u to power the house.

I personally recommend buying an older american made one, Lincoln made really good ones imo. Some can also work as a welder and capable of air arc, also some could be pto driven off a small tractor.

I had one of those. Bought it in 2004. With the direct hit of two hurricanes that year, we were without power for a total of 4 1/2 weeks. It drank up a lot of gas and was the loudest gen I ever heard. I finally got rid of it a few years ago. Figure we could move out to the camper in that situation again. According to a commercial I saw, one could just plug in their electric Ford p/u to power the house.

That's interesting. I like mine so much I would buy a second one if I could find one.

Quote; Moms68;
You do realize that once you buy a generator, that you will never loose power again?

Yeah, that was my train of thought, when a customer was going out of business and paid off his current bill with the 30 kvw Onan generator he had at the plant. The old story, too busy fixing everybody's everything, to get around to, doing my stuff. Anyway's, same thing, had the new gen converted from propane to gasoline, and the power went off for 4 days. I still had not installed the auto start bypass panel or trenched in the main line to the house. Had to scramble and bought a 48,000 watt screamer. Gensets are 2 pole or 4 pole, 2 pole gens run at 3600 rpm and the 4 poles run at 1800, so, if you going to invest in a genset, and are running it at night,look for a 4 pole.

We do have NG, but the Electrician said that the Generac would need an 1.250 gas line to it and it’ll use a lot of NG. He did say it was a 30-40 second delay before coming online.

Our stove, heater and dryer are NG. So the biggest energy consumption would be the ac, but if it can’t do the ac, at least the ceiling fans will work and we should ok in the summer.

Do you need to take the gas more than 100 feet
If you post KW and gen model with your gas pressure 7in or 2psi and distance I will give gas line size

Personally I think the Generac is best.
You can purchase for about 4,600 with transfer switch. I have one at my house near Houston and another in South Texas.
I placed them where I wanted then and purchased all the parts needed. Had a local electrician hook them up. Took about 4 hours and cost me 500 cash.

I would suggest purchase the generac and transfer switch and all the material you need yourself. Then find a licensed electrical contractor to come out and install it either with a quote to do everything or by the hour. Also purchase a permit for an inspection, slot of people don’t buy permits. But in your home owner policy it states that that if something requires a permit and you don’t, and after any time it damages the home or someone, insurance will not apply.

Auto Transport Service
Back