• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting close to semi retirement .

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
:drinks:Made my SSI sign up appt. (Just as soon do it in person than online. )
Last month did the medicare app.
The better half and myself met with our financial guy.
SSI says I can part time it to the 40k line.
I plan on a 3 day work week starting the middle of next month.
Sooner or later the shop will get sold and I will hang up the old gun. We are finishing our last customer restoration a 39 chevy.

Kind of strange dealing with all this stuff.
I'm sure you guys that have made the move know what I mean.
20221230_104511.jpg

I sold my business and retired last May with no regrets. I'll have to deal with all the Medicare sign up crap before the end of this year.

Happy retirement!:bananadance::bananadance:I see it says you'll be 65 in June. Thought you could earn as much as you want or is it 70? The old fogy here memory ain't what it use to was.:lol:
:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

Happy retirement!:bananadance::bananadance:I see it says you'll be 65 in June. Thought you could earn as much as you want or is it 70? The old fogy here memory ain't what it use to was.:lol:
:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:
Thanks, my full retire date was 66 & 8mo.
So for now I have a limit.

I sold my business and retired last May with no regrets. I'll have to deal with all the Medicare sign up crap before the end of this year.
Don't forget to sign up for drug plan even if you don't need it. Penalty of 1% a PER MONTH for every month you don't sign up. If you don't have prescriptions buy a cheap plan, You can upgrade later. Think you can upgrade Oct to Dec. 7 and will upgrade Jan. 1. This my opinion, do some research. The 1% PER MONTH is for sure, it adds up fast.

Retirement is earned and you should enjoy it. I regret nothing!! It's already sad that when most of us are ready, we're to old to do the things our minds can still do, but our bodies can't. So go out and give it a shot and then come back and tell us how great it is..... Congrats!!!!

Congratulations! :drinks:

I retired in 2020 and don't regret it one minute! Key thing, in my humble opinion, is to stay busy after you have retired - sitting around doing nothing is a great way to get unhealthy really quickly! Now it is time to do what you want and enjoy!

Congratulations. I hope I live long enough to retire and be healthy enough to enjoy it!

Semi-retired too. No regrets. Toward the end I spent a lot of time counselling younger guys who were hung up on "maxxing out" their numbers. I tried to get them to consider that sticking around longer than you need to might seem like a great plan, but it rarely takes into account how quality of life usually diminishes in later years. The trick is to retire at an age when you can still do the things you like to do for a long while. Congratulations.

congrats.jpg
Congrats on your pending retirement, my friend. That's wonderful stuff for sure! :thumbsup:

I used to wonder what it would be like to retire one day, too...
I don't have that concern anymore, since I'll be working 5 years after they've planted me in the ground
anyways (costs a lot to keep the average Ed alive, turns out....) :)

Cool,
I plan to retire end of Sept this year.
Might look at doing something next year on a part time basis just to stay busy and get out of the house

I have been retired for ten years now. Best job I ever had!

It's a major cross road, but you won't regret it. Congratulations!
I pulled the plug in November.
I have mixed feelings on it. I am still capable but I like time off between projects. I miss building things but the market changed so much.
I loved building roofs in the housing industry but since I was in the Union, there wasn't any work in that sector. Residential changed to the rock bottom low bidder with a majority of companies paying terribly low wages to guys that picked lettuce one week and grabbed a hammer the next.
You really do need some sort of routine and daily goals to keep from getting bored.
I thought I'd have plenty to do and stay busy.
I do have plenty but the motivation dropped off. Having unlimited time can make it easy to put everything off and never get around to it.
Winter is the absolute worst for me though. With Spring coming, maybe my mood will change.

Congratulations, I’m sure you’ll being busy.
I signed up for Medicare in November cause I figured I’d get it out of the way. I’m still waiting for a sign it’s time to retire, problem is it’s not financial, I still love what I do

Congrats for a long & enjoyable retirement. No end in sight for me YET, but there are so many jobs hanging, I will probably die from shock when I finally get to start on them. I know several people who retired and suffered from what I think is fairly common, that being the feeling of no longer being needed which depressed them. Don't let that happen to you! I know I will never get that as I have never been bored in my entire life and have always been absolutely fascinated with the inside of my eyelids; I love sleep! From my perspective, it would just be wonderful to stop multitasking. May good health stay with you. You did your time and now hopefully, it will all be good. Take your time & stop and smell the roses!
:drinks:

Last edited:
Winter is the absolute worst for me though. With Spring coming, maybe my mood will change.
I’m far from retirement, but winter is the worst for me too. I try to stay busy with indoor projects, but all the fun stuff is in the icebox out back! (garage)

I know that my troubles will seem minor given the better weather compared to you snowbound dudes but man...I just feel like hibernating until it gets to 60 degree daytime temps.

Auto Transport Service
Back