• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting my new 833 from truck to 72 Charger.....

YY1

Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
Anyone done this?

I'm pretty sure I'll need a new Z bar, and the frame pivot mount

Pedals are a given. Brewers has a cost effective conversion kit.

Am I gonna have an issue with the bell housing? Clutch fork?

I think the shifter is the correct style for B body....

Apparently both mount locations were used, depending on bench seat and/or console.

I've been looking for pics (from the same angle) of both locations.

I actually think the current location (just ahead of the rear mount) will work.

I think I will run buckets and buddy/armrest.

I've never seen a floor hump for different positions.

Thanks as always.

Is this an OD833? Going behind a BB or SB?
If using the buddy seat then use the long handle with the dog bone mount on the front shifter location. Use the short B-body hump.

Hey YY1, I have two of the A883 o/d units available if you may need an extra one. I have a few shifters also.

Thanks.

It's already behind a 440.

If I stay with the current mount, I won't need new rods, or a new shifter.

I'll have to see about that. I think they used the forward location with a bench, so the bench could slide forward.
Not as much of an issue with the fixed buddy seat.

More concerned with bell housing and clutch linkage attachment right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, all my research (save actually running numbers) indicates it's an OD unit.

I was actually kind of looking for that.

Seems to work well. Smooth, no grinding or sticking. All gears work.

I've never owned a 440 or any Mopar manual trans (cept for FWD)

Lots of 318, 360 and "B" engines, though.

I just realized, however, that the 833's I've driven shift MUCH more smoothly than a gm muncie.

I must have driven half a dozen 4 speed corvettes a couple of years ago, and they were all kinda difficult.

I did drive a 1 ton 68-ish chevy truck about 20 years ago...which shifted like butter.

IIRC, it was a hydro clutch NP trans. Go figure.

So you already have the bell housing to fit an OD833 to a BB? That's usually the hold up with putting an OD833 behind a BB.
The buddy seat goes where the bucket seat E-body style shifter goes that why they used the bench seat shifter with the buddy seat.
I done a lot of 4-spd conversions and from bench to bucket shifters conversions too. On Chevys too.
Yes the 833 this a stronger and better shifting tranny than the Sags. Atleast the cast iron 833's. The aluminum OD833 aren't as strong.
Let me know if you need pictures of anything

I guess my main question is-

Can I use a truck bell in a car?

If so, are there any special considerations?

If not, why?

Chrysler made only one bell housing that will fit the 833OD to a big block and is very hard to find. Here is a pics. Was made in the late 70's. I had one about 30 years ago a sold it cheap without knowing what is was. I was just at the Fling in LA and a guy had one for 300.00. It was only the 4th one I've seen in 35 years. I've had tons of the other BB truck bell housings that fit the NP435/445 tranny but not the 833OD. This bell fits both the 833OD and the NP435/445 trannys. Notice the dual tranny mounting patterns? Both the 833OD and the NP435/445 have the larger 5-1/8" front hub. The car BB bells have a small hub hole.
Sooooooooo your options are:
Find the hard to find bell housing
I think someone make an aftermarket steel bell that works
Machine down the 833OD hub and machine out the car BB housing hub hole to match. This is the most common way.

- - - Updated - - -

Top is the dual pattern bell Fits both 833OD and NP435
2nd is 70-up BB fits 833 Hemi tranny front hub. Smaller than 833OD
3rd is the standard BB truck bell. Fits NP435/445. Not 833OD
4th is the Small Block 833OD bell. Used in both cars and trucks. There is a early and later version with different T/O arms

Attachments

• Bell housing BB 435 833 #4039670.jpg
    Bell housing BB 435 833 #4039670.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Bell housing BB 70-4 BE.jpg
    Bell housing BB 70-4 BE.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Bell housing BB truck #3497272.jpg
    Bell housing BB truck #3497272.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 193
  • Bell housing SB OD.jpg
    Bell housing SB OD.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 191
Interesting.

So, I already have the only bell that will work?

Perhaps I'm farther along than I thought.

If you have the bell in the top picture then yes, the hardest part is all ready over.

- - - Updated - - -

Also need to note that the cast iron truck bells use the 143T flywheel and the other two shown use the 130T wheel.
I'm guessing that this is going in your 72 with the 400? Is it a cast or forged crank 400. The cast cranks were used with auto tranny and are not drilled for a pilot bushing. The forged cranks were used with manual tranny and there for are drilled.

Not sure exactly what I have part number wise...

What I do have is a running, driving truck with a 69 440 and what I believe is an NP833OD trans.

Any input on the Z bar and fork?

Will it work in a car?

Will a 71-74 B body Z bar work with that bell?

Could it be a car bell?

Brewer's shows a truck specific BB bell.

If I have that will it work in a car?

Thanks for all your help, man.

I'll get some pics after Garlits.

I don't suppose truck steering gears are the same as car steering gears?

You'll need a different z-bar, most likely. But it just dawned on me you said this was a 79 truck, if so, the 440 was put in by someone, and they might have modified a car z bar to work. The 4x4 steering gears are different, not sure about the two wheel drives.

It's a 1980 truck. I believe it was a slant six as built from the factory.

The 440 is a 1969 "E" stamp.

I suspect the 833 is original to the truck, as the shifter and steering column look 100% original and unmolested (except the knob).

I just checked the lug pattern on the wheels, and despite my research, which indicates they changed to 5 on 5" in 1980, these are 5 on 4 1/2...so those 15" turbine wheels might be keepers.

Well, if you have a bellhousing that is working now to bolt the engine to the transmission, it will continue to work, unless you booger it up, lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back