• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glass cleaning.. just listen to your wife!

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
The glass I picked up yesterday has heavy filth along the lower edge from leaves and gunk rotting on it for years, and then sitting in an attic for another 30 years to bake it on.

I tried everything I had, acetone, reducer, gasoline, varisol, WD-40, Windex, glass cleaner, even the cerium polish with the buffing pad. None even touched it after 2 hours of farting around.

Went in for late lunch and complained to the boss that I was getting nowhere. And she handed me this.

Cook top cleaner, a bit of water and the scrubber + a bit of SOS scrub pad lightly.

10 minutes later we have the cure and next time I'll just ask the boss first! Still needs lots of work, but I at least have a method to clean it right up that doesn't scratch! It also seems to remove light scratches in the glass.

beerestorationfall2018 1315.JPG beerestorationfall2018 1318.JPG beerestorationfall2018 1319.JPG beerestorationfall2018 1323.JPG beerestorationfall2018 1324.JPG

Good to know, thanks for sharing...Who would have thought after everything you tried..

Score one for the boss:thumbsup:

Home Depot sells the Weiman brand. Going to try it with the buffing wheel.. ON THE GLASS I ALREADY MESSED UP! LOL

Home Depot sells the Weiman brand. Going to try it with the buffing wheel.. ON THE GLASS I ALREADY MESSED UP! LOL
I just looked in the kitchen and Nat has the same cook top cleaner.......Guess the ladies have a secret network we are unaware of:D

maybe I'll give it a try on my motorcycle windshield. It's sand scratched to a foggy haze. Thanx, Merry Christmas. Dave

kinda like the time we were coming back from a road trip, stopped for gas and my dart wouldn't start. Turned over good but no fire . My and a few buddies (we travel in a pack ) spent 2 hours troubleshooting my car, multi meter and spare parts and still couldn't figure it out. My wife says it's the battery, we all looked at her and smiled, after all the engine turned over fine so why would it be the battery ? She said this when the fiasco first started, so 2hrs later her and another wife run to Wal-Mart and pick up jumper cables. Put the cables on and the car fired right up ! We couldn't believe it.... to this day she won't let me forget it and I have jumper cables in every car !

We just got a new stove a few months back and the manufacturer gave a small bottle of this cleaner/polish with it:
41q4ufn+HgL.jpg

Oops, sorry, that's a little big.
When the sample ran out, we bought the Weiman at the local store, but I wasn't happy with the effort required to use it, so I went to Amazon to fetch more CeramaBrite:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009WC69/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Stuff is pretty easy to work with, reminds me of the old Glass Wax but with a bit more non-scratching abrasive in it.
It even works on the water spot build up on the shower glass doors.
Yellow "Scotch Brite" pad only!

We got a different bottle of free stuff with our stove and the Weiman works better than it. When I use up all the wife's Weiman on my back glass I'll buy her some Ceramabryte to replace it. LOL

Is the glass cook top cleaner abrasive (just curious)?
I guess it depends on your own definition of abrasive. Personally I'd say Yes.. because it did what everything else couldn't, but it is marketed as "Formulated for heavy-duty cleaning , non-abrasive, removes tough stains, and maintains shine"

Is the glass cook top cleaner abrasive (just curious)?

It is somewhat abrasive but not harder than glass. At least not hard enough to etch the glass. We used those products on the same glass cooktop for 10 years and every scratch was caused by dragging a pot across the top, never from the cleaner.

It’s abrasive enough to get the burnt carbon chunks off the glass.

If you’re worried about etching the glass you can always polish/compound it after.

It is somewhat abrasive but not harder than glass. At least not hard enough to etch the glass. We used those products on the same glass cooktop for 10 years and every scratch was caused by dragging a pot across the top, never from the cleaner.

It’s abrasive enough to get the burnt carbon chunks off the glass.

If you’re worried about etching the glass you can always polish/compound it after.
Yep, that's why you never use anything to put the cleaner on/off with that can scratch.
The yellow scotch-brite sort of pads work really well for this. Learned that from the manufacturer of our stove.
I hate that I have to polish the damn thing all the time, but at least it's easy to do.

Hey.. I said nothing about me cleaning stoves! Married 36 years and I'm officially in charge of "vehicle maintenance and lawn car". The odd time I'm asked to trim the bush. No stove top cleaning..... :canada:

I have always used a 00 or 000 steel wool to clean glass and never had a problem with it. I will say this though, do NOT use a scuff pad...

D

I have always used a 00 or 000 steel wool to clean glass and never had a problem with it. I will say this though, do NOT use a scuff pad...

D
AGREED... do NOT use a scotchbrite pad anywhere on car glass. It may look clear to you, but look at it from a few angles and you'll see you've created haze on the glass. The different looped scrub pad that came with the stove cleaner, I only used around the edge to get rid of the baked on crap. The SOS pad, that is probably 000 or 0000 steel wool worked well too. All the open glass I just used my buffing pad that came with a glass polishing kit and the stove top cleaner. Same deal as when I used Cerium. Put some on the glass, spread it around and mist water until you get a nice spreadable smooth running cream.

One back glass done and doing the second today and then picking my best one.

beerestorationfall2018 1335.JPG beerestorationfall2018 1331.JPG beerestorationfall2018 1334.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back