• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going serpentine maybe

1245heathen

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone here runs or has run a serpentine kit on their big block. I am swapping my 318 out for a 383 b block in my 67 Belvedere with power steering no ac, i have the water pump and alternator w/ brackets that came with the 383 and a 2 groove pulley on the crank. Other than test fitting when I install is there a way to know if everything I have will work together (b block wp, alt, and crank pulley) with my power steering setup. Or for bolt on sake will it be easier on me to just grab a serpentine kit and not deal with the mismatched pulley smorgasbord I got going on.
Thanks

First nothing for brackets, pulleys or pumps on the front of the 318 will fit on the 383. This will be much simpler just doing with a kit unless you own a machine shop full of equipment.

First nothing for brackets, pulleys or pumps on the front of the 318 will fit on the 383. This will be much simpler just doing with a kit unless you own a machine shop full of equipment.
The only thing I was planning on using from the small block was the power steering pump itself. Will that bolt to the big block bracket? The b block came with a pile of brackets so I’m hoping I have them all.

I changed from V belt to serpentine on my BB. I used March pullies with OE brackets. Every thing fit like a glove. IMO the hardest part is going to be to get the right serpentine belts provided you didn't buy a kit already with them.

check out our kits at sdconcepts. few of the members here use them and there is a great writeup on the install of one our kits on the restomod page. and if you check youtube out, Dylan McCool just put one in his 2nd gen charger

check out our kits at sdconcepts. few of the members here use them and there is a great writeup on the install of one our kits on the restomod page. and if you check youtube out, Dylan McCool just put one in his 2nd gen charger
Sdconcepts.com takes me to a blank web page, I saw in another post you were rebranding to bcr but that site only has girdles, billet caps and throttle stops. I would like to see your set up other than Dylan’s pics, I am definitely checking around before I decide on my purchase. Thanks.

I used the SD kit with A/C, I'm not sure what the pricing is now but at the time they were quite a bit cheaper. Nice kit that locates things nicely and uses a single belt with a tensioner. Can't see much in the picture but I did a thread on the installation that shows it all...True Serpentine belt install on a BB mopar .

20190207_180349.jpg

I used the SD kit with A/C, I'm not sure what the pricing is now but at the time they were quite a bit cheaper. Nice kit that locates things nicely and uses a single belt with a tensioner. Can't see much in the picture but I did a thread on the installation that shows it all...True Serpentine belt install on a BB mopar .

View attachment 719807
Wow I didn’t read the whole thread but the pics didn’t do it justice for how tight you were dealing with. It looks great but even just looking at it I can feel my knuckles bleeding

my guess, just looking at their design, the pulley is moved really far forward away from the body of the pump, and the extra torque on the bearings probably wears the bearings prematurely. on our kit we designed it so everything works in the same plane.

Why did you go through power steering pumps? I have a March serpentine setup on my cuda and am having issues with the power steering. What was the issue?

I have the Borgeson steering upgrade and also went with Borgeson pump.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-800126
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-800311

After about 8-10 months the pump failed after a longer(er) & faster(er) freeway drive one night, fluid was foaming out of the cap on the way home.
I go another one, shaft came right out on my way to work after another few months. So I started to look at other pumps on Summits website (all brands, push-in & keyway), after a while reading the reviews (some lengthy) for about 15-20 pumps I came to find out that it may not be all that uncommon for pumps to just fail, for whatever reason...being just old, bad, application specific(?) or whatever as there were reviews very similar to my own experience.
I contacted Borgeson directly and told them what happened with photos & a picture of my receipt from Summit showing that is was less than a year.
They sent another one out free of charge, been in since last summer without issue.

As a two belt setup the PS pulley is in as far back as it can go in-line with the crank pulley.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13212
I also have a PS cooler setup as well.

I'll have to see what happens on my next 90 mph cruise...

Last edited:
On my Tru-Track, it uses a power steering pump that uses a remote reservoir which add another $150 for the reservoir, and $200 for the hose and fittings kit. I noticed the fluid was getting hot, so I added a cooler too (more $$). Overall the system is nice, but the remote reservoir setup has been the biggest pain to setup and get to seal. The reservoir fittings are like aluminum bulkhead fittings sealed with a teflon washer, and it is hard to keep them tight and from leaking. I plan to remove reservoir and tig weld the fittings to keep them from leaking.

Auto Transport Service
Back