• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

going to look at a RR and need info

Randy73

Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
did 72 RR's come with bench seats and non-rallye gauges?

Also, what did the hood look like?

any identifying traits besides the vin?

Thanks

did 72 RR's come with bench seats and non-rallye gauges?

Also, what did the hood look like?

any identifying traits besides the vin?

Thanks

The VIN is the all important part if you are concerned about it being a Road Runner which should be cross checked against the fender tag and body markings .. I think the 72s stamping is on the cowl area instead of the rad support. 71 up guys help out here.

They all had ralley gauges.They have a 1 year only unique grille.Check the radiator support and cowl vin numbers.

26823_113338325344436_1899982_n.jpg
Either the hood on the green car or if it is an Airgrabber then like the pink one and they could have bench seats

You can only go by the VIN. These cars are have been rebuilt. modified, and had parts swapped in and out for 40 years.

Basically:
Roadrunner Vin Starts with "RM"
Satellite Vin Starts with "RH"

There are some other variants, so look for it to be an RM, if not an RM its a Satellite of some sort. GTX also is an RM in 1972 as it is a Roadrunner with some additional options (This is what I have)

Grill is very rare so if the car is a clone, it will likely not have the correct one.

Gauges will always be Rally but may not have a tach. If it has the square cluster that the needle goes all the way across....thats a basic Satellite one. This doesnt mean the car is not a true Roadrunner.....can only tell by Vin (See above). Also make sure that same vin is stamped on Radiator support.

All Roadrunners came with benches or buckets.....the fender tag or build sheet will tell you what it originally shipped with.

Hope thats enough info for you and helps.

Last edited:
Actually...

Satellite Sebring Plus the VIN will start with RP23.
Satellite Sebring will start with RH23.
Satellite will start with RL23.
Road Runner will start with RM23.

Is this the blue 340 car?

If it is, I've tried to buy that car twice.

Between the two times, it was auctioned from an impound yard in Orlando.

What are they asking for it this time?

The 71 and the 72 rr's are one off years. The grilles are different but the general shape of the front bumper is the same, except that the 72 bumper has slots for the bumper jack. The rear bumpers are totally different. The hood has two configurations Air Grabber hood and the engine CID call out in the depressions. The deck lids and the doors are the same. The fenders and the quarters have the exterior side marker lights. If you can get the VIN I'm sure that with the knowledge base on this site, it will be decoded for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back