• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good donor car for suspension

Mopowababy

Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Got a 1965 satty and I want to put in front disc brakes and independent rear suspension and was wondering what came from mopar that would be a good donor from the junkyard. Any suggestions welcome.

Could you provide an overview of what you want the car to be like when done? What drive train are you using or planning on using? What makes you want an IRS?

To your question, I don't really have an answer as I am not familiar enough with the dimensions of a 65 Satellite or any of the possible IRS systems. That said, I am sure you do know the measurements of the car (or will) so take a look at systems such as what comes under one of the LX cars (Charger, Challenger, 300) or perhaps a JAG type. You might take a look at Art Morrison's catalog bc I think they sell a builder's set up.

Could you provide an overview of what you want the car to be like when done? What drive train are you using or planning on using? What makes you want an IRS?

To your question, I don't really have an answer as I am not familiar enough with the dimensions of a 65 Satellite or any of the possible IRS systems. That said, I am sure you do know the measurements of the car (or will) so take a look at systems such as what comes under one of the LX cars (Charger, Challenger, 300) or perhaps a JAG type. You might take a look at Art Morrison's catalog bc I think they sell a builder's set up.
I want the car to handle good, brake good, drive fast when necessary. I'm planning on using a 360 from a dodge van 1977 since the poly 318 engine was shot. What make me want an IRS system initially is that it's supposedly a smoother ride with better handling, however, it seems like there's more moving parts that can fail. Not sure if this is even a good move. I have a hellcat exhaust I want to use, however, it's for an IRS system and it seems kind of silly to me now to put in a IRS system so I can install an exhaust system. I was thinking if I can get charger suspension and put it on the satty that it knock out the front end disc conversion kit and IRS system from a donor car. Not sure how the bumpkin? compares to a live axle? Especially since there's a ton of different drivetrains in the charger, not sure if the bumpkin off a 2.7l is the same as a 5.7l hemi bumpkin. My brother restomod a 69 mustang fastback and it was tricked out to be a pro-touring car. That car was fucken scary fast. Here's a link to it. https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-FORD-MUSTANG-CUSTOM-FASTBACK-210190

Not to come off as condescending or anything but from what you are saying it sounds like you want the IRS just because you want it. A live axle can handle well if done right, granted it is not the same as an IRS but for what you say you want to do, a live axle would be fine.

Installing a IRS is not for the faint of heart, it requires a considerable amount of planning, calculations, design and fabrication. It definitely is not a bolt in situation. As to the Hell Cat exhaust, cool that you have it and perhaps you could use pieces but I do not think the entire system will go in without extensive modification.

I am not saying you couldn't do an IRS but for your intended use I would see it as a significant waste of time and money. If you are after "superb" handling look at a triangulated 4 link, good sway bars, excellent shocks and good tires.

Auto Transport Service
Back