• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good hole punch tool?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Was using the Harbor Freight hole punch flange tool but its weak. The designs all look identical but maybe its a tolerance issue or materials issue don’t know.

Can you guys recommend a decent punch that is robust?

Thanks

I have a Greenlee set for doing holes but it doesn't make a rolled edge.....had it for years and have used it a lot. Have only used it on sheet metal though.

Was using the Harbor Freight hole punch flange tool but its weak. The designs all look identical but maybe its a tolerance issue or materials issue don’t know.

Can you guys recommend a decent punch that is robust?

Thanks
LOL something NOT from China is the obvious choice. :usflag:

I too have a greenlee set that will punch up to a 4 inch hole. I would bet I have punched 40000 holes with it. I forgot to mention mine is hydraulic.

Last edited:
LOL something NOT from China is the obvious choice. :usflag:
Yeah great idea but little is made here due to the greed of corporations. Find me one made here in the states...fat chance

I have a Greenlee set for doing holes but it doesn't make a rolled edge.....had it for years and have used it a lot. Have only used it on sheet metal though.
Do you have to drill a pilot hole? I watched their video and it looks laborious to punch one hole.

Here ya go... Right there in Phoenix https://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=greenlee&sort=rel

This set would be worth it if you used it a lot like I do. Mine is well over 1500 dollars new.

01414_1GDQR7D4Dk3_600x450.jpg

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tls/d/phoenix-greenlee-hydraulic-knock-out/7116645715.html

Do you have to drill a pilot hole? I watched their video and it looks laborious to punch one hole.
Don't know another way to punch holes in the inner panels of doors etc. Lay em out and get to work. Took me a bout an hour to do 13 holes in one door once they were laid out and lightly center punched.

I've used several borrowed Greenlee manual punches I think up to 1 3/4". Worked great.

I need to cut like 200 holes on the periphery of the roof skin. Drilling them would be a major pita.

I exchanged my HF for another and its working good. I have found this to be the case with lots of tools but ya get what ya pay for. It’s definitely a love hate relationship. Its close by so thats a good thing.

62C4B1C0-EFDA-416E-9721-CCCAE7A2FCBD.png

I have some older China made tools that are still good but not too sure about the stuff in the last 5-10 years....

Only 200 holes to drill... you have no idea.. lol (13,250 in a pair of floats, 18,500 in an airplane). I would have already put the air drill and unibit away and been welding. Just pullin your chain fella, but a GOOD unibit would work nicely vs the punch.
DCP05688.JPG

I need to cut like 200 holes on the periphery of the roof skin. Drilling them would be a major pita.

I exchanged my HF for another and its working good. I have found this to be the case with lots of tools but ya get what ya pay for. It’s definitely a love hate relationship. Its close by so thats a good thing.

View attachment 952358

What size holes are you doing?

I remember when made in Japan meant it was absolute crap. Demming and Juran fixed that and we view their products as excellent today. I have worked with Chinese Taiwanese Korean Thai and Vietnamese manufacturing for many years and those that say for example Chinese products suck should take a ride on their high speed rail system. I did and my glass of wine barely had any ripples as we were traveling 200KMPH. They have invested so much in infrastructure tooled plants its amazing. We should be so lucky to have a tenth of that capability here......just saying not all their stuff is bad, they are not stupid and we lost our mfg base a long time ago......Been at this for 40 years.

View attachment 952358
Doing small holes....ok lol. That's different. Most of the ones I was making are 1 5/8ths" in diameter! :D

Only 200 holes to drill... you have no idea.. lol (13,250 in a pair of floats, 18,500 in an airplane). I would have already put the air drill and unibit away and been welding. Just pullin your chain fella, but a GOOD unibit would work nicely vs the punch.
View attachment 952375
Wow what plane is that for? Whats a Unibit?

I remember when made in Japan meant it was absolute crap. Demming and Juran fixed that and we view their products as excellent today. I have worked with Chinese Taiwanese Korean Thai and Vietnamese manufacturing for many years and those that say for example Chinese products suck should take a ride on their high speed rail system. I did and my glass of wine barely had any ripples as we were traveling 200KMPH. They have invested so much in infrastructure tooled plants its amazing. We should be so lucky to have a tenth of that capability here......just saying not all their stuff is bad, they are not stupid and we lost our mfg base a long time ago......Been at this for 40 years.

I sure don't think Chinese are stupid. They have shown to outsmart our politicians for 4-5 decades. I have a Taiwanese drill press I got from a buddy 35 years ago, it was well used in daily production for MANY years before that. I put a new USA made chuck on it, used motor, been running good ever since. Drills as accurate as anything I could buy today. The Chinese still do sell us a lot of plain junk, because we don't seem to want to pay for quality.

Auto Transport Service
Back