• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good plug wires suggestion

pearljam724

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a good set of plug wires for a small block. They have to be straight boots for an original distributor car, looking for best quality under $60. Do not want silicone junk. Mine were silicone, only a couple years old. One wire literally snapped in half. Definitely not caused by pulling anywhere I should have. Always grip boots. I don’t want anything I have to take a couple hours of my time and buy a special crimper, etc. Internet is hard to decipher quality without being able to hold or look at them. I’d appreciate some suggestions. Was thinking about these, but seller doesn’t state wire size. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152708574971

Last edited:
Well past your budget, I bought Mallory ceramic boot wires. Within your budget, I have used Taylor spiral core.

I looked into Taylor’s. But, haven’t found straight boots.

A few weeks ago I tried to install a set of the ones you have pictured... Two of the wires were too short they wouldn't reach from the rear cylinders to the distributor... Never mind about the proper terminal on the distributor...

Try these... $43.00
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5952234&cc=1078433&jsn=544
Thank you, a ton. The orange Mopar ones are the ones I wanted. But, decided I better wait for some honest feedback. I’m going to make a decision by tomorrow. The RockAuto wires look to be of good quality, but they have angled boots it appears. Keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate it. I bounced around several local auto chains this evening. Damn shame, auto chains don’t carry quality wires anymore. All silicone junk.

Thank you, a ton. The orange Mopar ones are the ones I wanted. But, decided I better wait for some honest feedback. I’m going to make a decision by tomorrow. The RockAuto wires look to be of good quality, but they have angled boots it appears. Keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate it. I bounced around several local auto chains this evening. Damn shame, auto chains don’t carry quality wires anymore. All silicone junk.

Those boots are straight, Standard/Hygrade/Bluestreak is a product professionals have been using for many many decades...

Those boots are straight, Standard/Hygrade/Bluestreak is a product professionals have been using for many many decades...
You’re right, I was looking at measurements of each wire and thought the inch marks, were degree marks. Thank you, those look stout. I like them. I wonder if they have color options ?

My normal performance go to wires are the MSD Super Conductor with multi-angle ends, but they are around $100. I usually end up cutting them to length and crimping on the distributor end terminals.
I have used a few sets of the Taylor Spiro-Pro wires, but they are a soft silicone wire and don't seem to hold up as well as the MSD wires.
I want to try some FireCore wires some day, people seem pleased with them, but again $90.
Never used the Moroso Blue Max wires, but they are supposed to be good and I think in your price range?

Firecores for $90? It was gonna run me $150-ish for my 440 when I priced through their site:eek:
I've been using taylor thundervolts, I custom cut, with real good results. Not so cheap either though, last time I paid I think $80 but they've performed and held up very well.

Firecores for $90? It was gonna run me $150-ish for my 440 when I priced through their site:eek:
I've been using taylor thundervolts, I custom cut, with real good results. Not so cheap either though, last time I paid I think $80 but they've performed and held up very well.

Depends on which version. The regular 7mm small block from Mancinni are $90.95
https://www.manciniracing.com/marafafitfiw2.html

Have any comparison between the Thunder Volt and Spiro Core?

My normal performance go to wires are the MSD Super Conductor with multi-angle ends, but they are around $100. I usually end up cutting them to length and crimping on the distributor end terminals.
I have used a few sets of the Taylor Spiro-Pro wires, but they are a soft silicone wire and don't seem to hold up as well as the MSD wires.
I want to try some FireCore wires some day, people seem pleased with them, but again $90.
Never used the Moroso Blue Max wires, but they are supposed to be good and I think in your price range?
I really like the look and the price range of the Moroso Bluemax. They claim they are a straight boot. But, not one seller shows pics of the distributor boots. This is the kind of stuff you deal with on the net concerning wires. It’s important to see a good image of them. Today’s day and age, there’s no reason not to have 1-3 good pictures of a wire. It’s ridiculous. You could easily decipher quality with a couple good pics. Very few sellers have that, concerning wires.

Depends on which version. The regular 7mm small block from Mancinni are $90.95
https://www.manciniracing.com/marafafitfiw2.html

Have any comparison between the Thunder Volt and Spiro Core?
Ah okay, the firecore set I priced was a set directly from firecore made to all my measurements. As far as the Taylor's, the thundervolts measured out at 50 ohms or less per foot, and are cut-to-fit so I can fit them to my engine...nice clean install. The spiros were a factory type set that had some that were longer than they needed to be. They had a little more resistance but performed fine.

Ah okay, the firecore set I priced was a set directly from firecore made to all my measurements. As far as the Taylor's, the thundervolts measured out at 50 ohms or less per foot, and are cut-to-fit so I can fit them to my engine...nice clean install. The spiros were a factory type set that had some that were longer than they needed to be. They had a little more resistance but performed fine.

Thanks for the comparison. For me the Spiro-core worked fine, but I fried a few boots (383 B Block), and after a few years of taking them on and off the silicone started tearing on me, so I started looking for wires that had better boots and a tougher wire shell. Used Jacobs wires til they went out of business.

Auto Transport Service
Back