• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good source for Voltage Regulators

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
Need to get a nee voltage regulator for my 1970. I see and hear of a lot crappy Chinese stuff. Are any made in the U.S.? Is there a brand or dealer putting out anything different with repect to quality?

Thanks

I have has issues with NAPA/Echlin. My last regulator was Mopar. Check with your dealer. It might still be available.
Borg Warner has also been good.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4529794
dcc-4529794_ml.jpg

I have has issues with NAPA/Echlin. My last regulator was Mopar. Check with your dealer. It might still be available.
Borg Warner has also been good.
No kidding .. I'm running Napa regulators on both my cars for a few years now with no issues at all .. what problems are you seeing ?

No kidding .. I'm running Napa regulators on both my cars for a few years now with no issues at all .. what problems are you seeing ?
Overcharging.

I've had good luck with a Wells VR706 electronic regulator. Don't know where it's made though.

VR706_thumb.jpg

Had two of these bad new OOTB. Had to put the ugly old OE back in to have one that worked.

Was referring to this ^^^ one.
Possibly the MP one is made elsewhere. I believe I still have the box in the trunk of the car which is in storage. If I get a chance I will go over and get the number. Mopar parts may very well still have them available.

Last edited:
Yeah out of box failures means not tested or crap process and or materia > crappy Chinese stuff. I bet they are all made in China.

I think the writing on the originals were printed on whereas the new MP ones are stickers.

I am also having charging system problem with a 69 Coronet. Low charge. When I first start the car I see charging for about 2 seconds. 14 volts. Then it drops to 12.7v. Battery voltage. If I full field the alternator voltage jumps to over 16v. I thoroughly cleaned up the bulkhead connector thinking there might be a poor connection. I have tried two new electronic regulators purchased through Advance Auto. Same results. I also had the alternator tested at an electrical shop. No problem. This car has the newer style regulator, ballast resistor, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back