• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Year Polyglas F70-14 Custom Wide Tread Shortage - What the Heck

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
Hello Mopar Tribe:

I ordered 4 New Good Year Polyglas F70-14 Custom Wide Tread from Mac's Auto Parts on Nov 11, 2022 and still have not received them ($314.99 ea + tax + shipping = Subtotal $1,259.96 Shipping & Handling $105.55 Tax$78.75 Grand Total$1,444.26). And any other place I try to order have to wait a few months. I want to have them now and especially for Carlisle, anyone know a better source to get a new set of 4 now? I can't get a inspection sticker with the bald ones I'm diving on + not safe!

Thanks!

road robert

Don't know how your inspections work, but may be bring the bill and show they've been on order and maybe they'll let you pass. In NY we have gas stations do the inspection and I have a good friend that knows me and my cars and although you have to pass emissions, works with me if I have another problem. Hopefully it's not the state site to get inspected for you.

Buy a et of Cooper GT Radial at Discount tire for under $800.00 on ale and don't look back!
Don't let tire hold your project hostage.

I bought those same tires only 15” and F60 and L60’s from Universal Vintage Tire in Ohio - it was a couple of years ago but you may want to check w/them. They specialize in the old stuff.

Remember that these are short run reproductions of basically handmade tires and they have a shelf life based on the DOT date codes.
The cost per unit is very high to produce because of the small quantities made.
The manufacturers will wait until enough tires are ordered to make production sense.
Even the real tire manufacturers don't produce each size and model continuously. They only have so much production capacity and prioritise production based on demand quantity and time of year.
They may only produce these repros in that size and model for 1 or 2 weeks a year and then wait for demand to catch back up.
Just the way business is.
We are lucky anybody is in the reproduction business to make stuff for cars over 50 years old.

Hello Mopar Tribe:

I ordered 4 New Good Year Polyglas F70-14 Custom Wide Tread from Mac's Auto Parts on Nov 11, 2022 and still have not received them ($314.99 ea + tax + shipping = Subtotal $1,259.96 Shipping & Handling $105.55 Tax$78.75 Grand Total$1,444.26). And any other place I try to order have to wait a few months. I want to have them now and especially for Carlisle, anyone know a better source to get a new set of 4 now? I can't get a inspection sticker with the bald ones I'm diving on + not safe!

Thanks!

road robert
In PA if you register your car as an Antique, you can forgo annual inspections. Just a few stipulations for being registered in this manner, one in particular is driving after dark. Just a thought

At least you got your order in at that price. They are now $430 each and no stock. According to Cooker and Kelsey Tire the ETA, at least on F60-15's is late June at the earliest. Universal/Vintage told me they had no idea on an ETA.

OK Mopar Tribe - Need Answers from those that know...

1. What brand and type tire and size came originally on 1971 road runner base model. (I think Good Year F70 - 14 Polyglas Custom Wide Tread) with raised white lettering?
2. What rim size(s) came originally on 1971 road runner base model. (Mine are 14 x 6 rallye, doubt they are original to car)
3. What optional rims were available in 1971 for road runner (14 x 6, 15 x 7), etc.

I need a plan to get inspection sticker and be driving safely day AND night. Thinking buying steelies and radials for right now then when my Good Year F-70 14's arrive put them on my 14 x 6 rallye rims.

Can't wait 'til Carlisle - 420 mile road trip!

Thanks All!

road robert

The base 71 rr i test drove in 1971 had blackwalls, steelies, and dog dishes. The upscale version i drove had rallyes, and white letters. I don't remember the brand or size, it was a while ago, and I have oldtimers.

Welcome to the Polyglas party. The Goodyear Polyglas have been out of stock for 2 years.

F60/15 is a ford size also.

Modern radials are good, but put the black wall out. If you buy them online you save money Over the local trie store. Tremendous markup on tires.

OK Mopar Tribe - Need Answers from those that know...

1. What brand and type tire and size came originally on 1971 road runner base model. (I think Good Year F70 - 14 Polyglas Custom Wide Tread) with raised white lettering?
2. What rim size(s) came originally on 1971 road runner base model. (Mine are 14 x 6 rallye, doubt they are original to car)
3. What optional rims were available in 1971 for road runner (14 x 6, 15 x 7), etc.

I need a plan to get inspection sticker and be driving safely day AND night. Thinking buying steelies and radials for right now then when my Good Year F-70 14's arrive put them on my 14 x 6 rallye rims.

Can't wait 'til Carlisle - 420 mile road trip!

Thanks All!

road robert
I seem to remember my Satellite came with Generals or something. F’s. Put on G’s and the fronts would rub on tight turns. Got these ralleye rims off a 1970 rr.
Well my pic wouldn’t load. Brochure copy here.

9F080768-DD9C-45C1-8BCB-0C53F13CE2E4.jpeg

Last edited:
My Dad's '71 Satellite came with F78-14 tires by General. I bought the car from him several years later and had G60-14 BF Goodrich mounted on the stock steel wheels. No problems with rubbing, nor uneven tire wear from those wide tires on the narrow factory wheels.

Yes, I had to clean the white letter tires every week. :cursin:

Now that you mention it, mine came with f 78s. H’s rubbed a little behind the left front, rear of wheel well.

The Factory Service Manual will give you the standard and optional sizes. Tires were/are supplied by various manufacturers. They may have leaned towards Goodyear tires because of contracts but they also used Firestone, General, Uni-royal.
Only the Monroney sticker will tell for sure what it actually came with.

Attachments

• 71 PLYMOUTH TIRE SIZING.pdf
    588.2 KB · Views: 61
The Factory Service Manual will give you the standard and optional sizes. Tires were/are supplied by various manufacturers. They may have leaned towards Goodyear tires because of contracts but they also used Firestone, General, Uni-royal.
Only the Monroney sticker will tell for sure what it actually came with.
Might depend on which assembly plant put the car together regarding brand of tire.

At least you got your order in at that price. They are now $430 each and no stock. According to Cooker and Kelsey Tire the ETA, at least on F60-15's is late June at the earliest. Universal/Vintage told me they had no idea on an ETA.
WTF.... I'm so sick of this sh#t

Auto Transport Service
Back