• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodyear F60-15 date code help

bagman68

Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Just removed these from a recent purchase, a car that's spent most of it's past 30 years in collector's hands .. seldom driven. They show absolutely no tread wear, but signs of aging on the sidewalls.

I'm hoping to get some help here to determine just how old they are. Any help is much appreciated!

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

Made 47th week, of the seventh year of the decade. (477)
So, late Nov, early dec, 1977,87,97?
Pre 2000, when they went to a four digit date code.

I have my tire date decoder... somewhere... if I find it, I'll reply. From a fog memory, the date is the 43 week of 1977. the first two are the manufacturing plant. I think the F's are for the tire/size ?

Made 47th week, of the seventh year of the decade. (477)
So, late Nov, early dec, 1977,87,97?
Pre 2000, when they went to a four digit date code.
Should be '77. By '87 pretty much everything was radial...I remember seeing a post on another forum from a guy that worked at Goodyear in the eighties stating this which is my information source. I have no personal knowledge, just to be clear.

Reckon they could be trusted for light use if tubes were installed? I ordered a replacement set through Summit this past March with a mid-July delivery date that got updated just this morning... now mid-December.

Should be '77. By '87 pretty much everything was radial...I remember seeing a post on another forum from a guy that worked at Goodyear in the eighties stating this which is my information source. I have no personal knowledge, just to be clear.
That is my feeling too...... but I can't prove it by the number.

Oh, yes, it's 1977 they didn't manufacture these in 1987

A picture of the complete tire helps as well. Most likely 1977. Almost 45 years old. They were too old 30 years ago to be safely used for driving.
At that age and condition they should not even be remounted as it would no longer be safe to air the tire up to reseat the beads.
They would probably tear during dismount anyway.
It is the part of the tire that you can't see ( the actual body and belt layers ) that will come apart and hurt you.

A picture of the complete tire helps as well. Most likely 1977. Almost 45 years old. They were too old 30 years ago to be safely used for driving.
At that age and condition they should not even be remounted as it would no longer be safe to air the tire up to reseat the beads.
They would probably tear during dismount anyway.
It is the part of the tire that you can't see ( the actual body and belt layers ) that will come apart and hurt you
Here they are, including a pic of them bolted on my car .. remakable I'd say, for 40+ years old. I dismounted them myself. They were all surprisingly pliable, particularly at the bead. There's not a nickel's worth of difference between the four in tread wear (virtually none), sidewall and bead pliability, or white letter clarity. Seems such a waste - although probably wise - to just discard them.

I ordered a replacement set from Summit in March with expected delivery mid July. Just got updated; now December. I'm open for suggestions on what you guys would consider as alternative tire choices. Wheels are 15x7s.

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_6162 (2).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back