• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goofy Question #99!

Bigtime

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello to all!
Ok, here we go.....
I have a '65 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 383.
I plan to buy a set of uncut Taylor wires that I will cut to fit. I want to route the wires away from the valve covers.....down along the sides of the inner fender wells. I should mention at this point that the car is equipped with Hedman headers.
I have bought every conceivable "do dad" available in an effort to achieve this with my existing Accel wires.
Does anyone have a stock schematic or ? something I can use as a guide to FINALLY do this the correct way, or can someone direct me to a 'site that will show me the detail? I realize that it is a small project but it's drivin' me nuts. I appreciate your help with this.
Thanks,
Steve

You're already planning on doing what you should do - buying a set of wires and custom cutting them
for what you need in the way of routing them.
Yes, headers on big blocks suck at getting in the way - but as the old saying goes, "ain't no hill for a
stepper." :thumbsup:

You're already planning on doing what you should do - buying a set of wires and custom cutting them
for what you need in the way of routing them.
Yes, headers on big blocks suck at getting in the way - but as the old saying goes, "ain't no hill for a
stepper." :thumbsup:

Which old saying? Who said it?? Never heard that one before....must be indigenous to your part of the country...
If header to spark plug boot clearance becomes an issue, perhaps the using a "shorty" spark plug like the NGK BPMR4A (3/8" reach, projected nose) or a slightly colder plug may help (BPMR6A or BPMR7V ). Champion CJ-8Y OR CJ-7Y are alternates. Unfortunately, these plugs are not the current platinum/irridium design that seems to be in vogue but they are inexpensive and are readily available. If header tube to boot clearance is less than 1/2", which can burn thru the plug boot in a short time, consider the shorter design plug. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

I have hedman headers on my 440 and the Accel precut wires with the 90* boots work great. it's all in how you keep them away from the headers. straight boot were a nightmare for me and I deemed them unusable for my application.

Which old saying? Who said it?? Never heard that one before....must be indigenous to your part of the country...
BOB RENTON
Google search is your friend. Yes, it's a southern saying. Someone even has a song with it as the title.
"No hill for a stepper" means exactly what it sounds like - it's a totally possible task for someone willing and
able to attempt it.

Firecore. Already made for your engine with any setup you have. Headers, manifolds. I'll never buy anything else after several attempts with other brands that fail.

20180503_151841.jpg

I have hedman headers on my 440 and the Accel precut wires with the 90* boots work great. it's all in how you keep them away from the headers. straight boot were a nightmare for me and I deemed them unusable for my application.
Thanks for the post! Would you happen to have a part # for those wires? If not, I'll just Google 440 MOPAR wires and if I only get one hit [at JEGS or Summit] then I should have the correct ones I guess. If precut wires will work that would be a time saver. I'll check it out!

Thanks for the post! Would you happen to have a part # for those wires? If not, I'll just Google 440 MOPAR wires and if I only get one hit [at JEGS or Summit] then I should have the correct ones I guess. If precut wires will work that would be a time saver. I'll check it out!
I had to use the yellow wires with the orange boots, they are 8mm . I believe they have them in black. I got 25,% off by ordering them online through advance Auto , free shipping, the total was like 32.00. just punch in 440 plug wires, prefit
IMG_20181221_220348.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back