• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gost Wires

no the horns are already hooked up the are in the harness for the alternater

This should help. It's from a 72 book bit.. View attachment 1354300
71 and 72 are not exactly the same. 71s shared the NSS plug to bulkhead with AC/heater wires ( blower and compressor clutch) on two cavities left, while 72 get just one cavity left, used for the blower no matter if A/c or heater, while the AC run through the engine harness plug.

this difference is because on 71 no NSS ground signal was used to the cab, but since 72 a ground signal from NSS was required into the cab for the seatbelt warning system

as a late picture shows, it seems you got 4 speed car? then you are feeding the dash pilot light for the reverse speed via black with white trace wire coming from NSS harness

About brown wire with white trace… are you sure are they brown and not some other faded color?

brown with white trace is windshield washer pump. As far I recall, this wire should get a wire extension to reach the pump. But I recall they coming out from engine harness on 71/73?. I’m on bed checking the board from my iPad and my info is All at my Laptop on the desk. Almost 3 am here LOL

The other wires, spliced two Into the female plug… could be a ground for the hideaways motor? Since this was optional an extra harness was used to feed the positive signal but the ground can be part of the main forward harness being spliced from the radiator core support. But should be black!

is what comes to my mind at this moment. Can be wrong thought!

horn wires are green with red trace

Last edited:
Go to bed LOL I will update this week end. FYI everything is hooked up for lights. the washer motor wire is on the right side of the car of the horn wires. those were the only three wires i had left. I will post more pics this weekend

:rofl: 71 and 72 are not exactly the same. 71s shared the NSS plug to bulkhead with AC/heater wires ( blower and compressor clutch) on two cavities left, while 72 get just one cavity left, used for the blower no matter if A/c or heater, while the AC run through the engine harness plug.

this difference is because on 71 no NSS ground signal was used to the cab, but since 72 a ground signal from NSS was required into the cab for the seatbelt warning system

as a late picture shows, it seems you got 4 speed car? then you are feeding the dash pilot light for the reverse speed via black with white trace wire coming from NSS harness
You're late to the party. Red x spared for now....

Yes I noticed arrived a bit late LOL, hence why I added more info just in case could be needed or helpfull :lol:

1665223965552.png

yeap, asi mentioned on my previous reply #25... I recall correctly the windshield washer wire running out from engine harness plug... tapped to it up to the front of the engine and pretty sure on 73 leaving the tape close to the firewall to reach the new washer location for this year

engine compartiment.jpg
>

engine view diagram just shows the engine bay devices, not the lighting system.

now, this is hard to read but there is no other brown wire into engine bay aside the wiper harness, the engine harness for ballast and the brown traced one for the washer. I was sure on this because all 71/74 are the same, but just wanted to be sure checking the 71 diagram specifically

( Rally cluster harness shown )

underdash wiring Rallye clustera.jpg

so time to ask once again... are you sure those wires on front end aren't faded color wires ?

Unfortunatelly I don't have 71/73 front lighting harness diagram. All 71/74 are pretty much the same except some wires turned around due some hard changes made by 74 due the interlock system and I have the 74 diagram which is way more technical than previous years and the legend is needed to get it correctly read. I'm really familiar with all 71/74 wiring but mostly because I have workied with them by instict, before get any diagram in hands. That's how I learnt.

Only diff I can think off on 71/74 front end section harness being needed to source are of course beams, parking lights, top fender turning lights. On 73/74 a change made was adding the horns on that harness section. 74s got the washer pump also added on that harness

Only diff I can think off between 71/72 and 73/74 for the forward lighting harness is some provision for the conceleaded lights setup like the ground for the motor AND headlights washer system ( just optioned on 71, and really weird ), which it was vacuum actuated BUT.... the washer ?

Last edited:
Brown with a trace? If it’s factory original, you’ll find it in the factory service manuals somewhere. In this case page 5-47 of the ’71 Dodge Body service manual. No need for a third party colorized wiring diagram, have yet to see an accurate third party wiring diagram of any kind.
Charger wiring.jpg

Last edited:
OK here I go so please be patient.... First I would like to thank everybody for the time and knowlege.. So, regarding the wiper washer motor yes everybody is correct on the color of the wire and placement. It does come off the horn harness. But is on the right side of the car. Now, regarding the headlights. the headlights are not vacuum they are motor driven. I to also thought that these two wires were for the Headlight washer system. The car did not come with this option. The schematic shows Brown wire for this system but no white tracer.. I do understand that it was 1971 and these might be wires that are stragglers. I dont think that ther is anything for the A/C down in that area. I am probably making this a bigger problem than it is , but the car has not ran in over 15 years. Everything was in the trunk when i got it so I am trying to make sure evrything is right before I start cranking on it.
IMG_6120.JPG
IMG_6121.JPG
IMG_6123.JPG
IMG_6124.JPG
IMG_6125.JPG

where is a good place to get a paper manual... I bought a cd of of ebay and it sucks Takes me three hours to access anything no matter what computer I use.

The schematic shows Brown wire for this system but no white tracer..
You mean the third party colorized wiring diagram does not indicate a trace, what a surprise. The FSM clearly indicates a trace on the headlamp washer circuit id (V11A-18BR*), a trace is denoted with an asterisk in all Factory service manuals of this time, the color of the trace will not be indicated. BR* is a brown wire with a trace. The forward lighting harness may have been replaced with one from another car or the washer components may have been removed. How do you know it didn’t have it originally?

For ’71 Dodge there are two manuals, Chassis and Body, used and re-prints are on E-bay, several offerings now.

Last edited:
so than I can assume that these wires are for the headlight washing system. I hope that it was not replaced evrything on the car is original to the car. it looks like they started working on the car in 2006. they put in a cam, Intake manifold headers, and new carb :(. I have the original carb but not the intake mainfold or the exhaust manifolds. Im starting to ramble so again I would like to thank everybody for there help we will call this one solved:)

On this picture... Number 7 goes to a neutral safety switch.
Traced with yellow mark..

71CoronetChargerA.JPG

Pretty sure it’s been determined already, the car in question, is a 4-speed car with a dash mounted reverse indicator, no NSS involved. While the reverse light switch is indicated on that third-party wiring diagram, the reverse lamp dash indicator wiring is not diagramed. Yet another third-party diagram omission, stick with factory diagrams if accuracy is desired.

the vacuum system I meant is for the headlamp washer brushes, not the hideaways… or at least I always had thought they were vacuum operated ???.

I remember somebody selling a full headlamps washer setup on eBay long time ago!

TH_RT_10_l.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back