• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got 205psi compression...

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Think I overdid it on compression ratio. Using iron MW 80cc heads and flat tops with valve relief slugs are down in the hole 0.001". Mostly street with some limited NSS in the future.

Chuck (snook)

More head gasket, more camshaft.
0.051" head gasket and a ISKY RR570T on a 108*LC:
  • Roller
  • Valve Lift Int/Ext. 0.570
  • Valve Lash Hot Int/Ext. 0.028
  • ADV Duration Int/Ext. 290
  • 0.050 Duration Int/Ext. 250
  • Lobe Center 108
Chuck (snook)

• Roller
  • Lobe Center 108
Chuck (snook)
With that much cam and that thick a head gasket, how did you get that much compression with flat tops?? Stroker crank?

All assuming your tester is in good order, first (and easiest) thing I'd try is tightening up the lash a little at a time and check it.
What centerline did the cam end up on? You could also back the cam up a few degrees (as long as you have adequate exhaust valve clearance).
Besides that, you're looking at opening it up for thicker gaskets as 33 said, or different pistons(ouch)!
Or find a good race gas supplier near you!:eek:

All assuming your tester is in good order, first (and easiest) thing I'd try is tightening up the lash a little at a time and check it.
What centerline did the cam end up on? You could also back the cam up a few degrees (as long as you have adequate exhaust valve clearance).
Besides that, you're looking at opening it up for thicker gaskets as 33 said, or different pistons(ouch)!
Or find a good race gas supplier near you!:eek:
Tester is in good shape, not a cheap one. Right now, I'm running a mix (1/3 100 aviation and 2/3 94); I'm in airboat country, not hard to find hi-test. Runs well on that. I'm building a new engine, will be ready later this year. I'll be using that cam again, it's a good one. Ended up at 105.5*

Chuck (snook)

Last edited:
That cam looks similar to the .557 purple shaft im using. Yours has slightly less duration at .050, slightly more lift. I like it.

That fuel mix is borderline, you don’t want any detonation.

Agree with R413. I think I'd run 2 parts 100LL to 1 pump premium.
Of course it helps that the 100LL I get here is about the same price as cali pump 91......

My 580" at 15.1-1 barely cracks 200psi. Of course the cam is 285_292@ .050". Flat tops, 10ccvalve reliefs and .069" gaskets. 57cc chambers.
Doig

• Roller
  • Lobe Center 108
Chuck (snook)
I had a reading similar to that.
I logged onto several car forums and read all sorts of advice. I was pig headed and wasn't willing to pull the engine to swap in dished pistons so I took short cuts. Big cam. Thick head gaskets. Yeah, it worked but it runs better now with dished pistons and quench.

I like it. I think you will too. You’ll just need to run good fuel. There are no adjustments you can make to get from 205 to the 165-ish you’ll need to run pump gas, IMO.

Think I overdid it on compression ratio. Using iron MW 80cc heads and flat tops with valve relief slugs are down in the hole 0.001". Mostly street with some limited NSS in the future.

Chuck (snook)
Almost 14:1. We built a stock class 355 Chevrolet with flat top pistons and angle milled fuelie heads. We ended up with 265psi compression (almost 15:1) and ran
Cam 2 racing gas. Luckily our sponsor covered our fuel bill.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back