• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a letter from the City

'73bird

Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
Seems like a neighbor decided they didn't like the Roadrunner on jack stands in my driveway all of the sudden (been there since April). Now I have to clear out my third car garage, reorganize it, and move the shell in. All of this while dealing with this carpal tunnel that Im waiting on surgery for.

After a while, I'd be more then pissed at that eye sore as well! Do you like degrading and devaluing your neighbors properties as well as your own, or do you not care?

After a while, I'd be more then pissed at that eye sore as well! Do you like degrading and devaluing your neighbors properties as well as your own, or do you not care?

Ha Ha!
Too funny John!

imagesBVJ2XC4F.jpg

its 1 car and you haven't seen my other neighbors property, its in my driveway not laying in my yard and doesn't have a bunch of stuff piled on it.

P.S. They didn't even try to speak to me about it first.

I can understand complaining about the people who's yard is a display for all their retired appliances from the last 10 years but a car in the works???? People like that need to get a life if that's all they can find to do. My neighbor is a drunken slob (also a good neighbor) whos, yard, property, etc is a mess so I planted trees.... problem solved. He owns his property I'm not about to tell him what to do with it and expect the same in return.

Last edited:
This is why I could never live in a town. I live 25 miles from town and that isn't really far enough.

problem today is is no-one knows how to mind their own business , I blame social media and the everyone's business is my business mentality

That's one of the reasons I moved to an unincorporated part of the county. All my neighbors in into cars and motorcycles or both. My neighbor across the fence in my backyard always has pickups, boats, lawn tractors, and his tractor all over his backyard. You know what? I don't care because he's a cool guy - 80 year-old retired LAPD cop who loves any excuse to use his tractor so he helped me clear all kinds of weeds in my yard with it.

Ahhhhh...living in the wilds of Vermont, where the trees leaves are changing colors, temp is 70*, the nearest town is 12 miles away and the nearest neighbor is 500 yards away. Farmland and fields all around, dirt road paradise.

its 1 car and you haven't seen my other neighbors property, its in my driveway not laying in my yard and doesn't have a bunch of stuff piled on it.
If we're talking about your avatar pic, sitting on jack stands for 6 months for all to see is the problem. Hell, you can't even put wheels on it so it sits on the ground for cryin out loud.

problem today is is no-one knows how to mind their own business , I blame social media and the everyone's business is my business mentality

Yeah right? WRONG!

I empathize with your situation but I have to ask this...I have done 90% of all my resto work on my '66 Ply Satellite in the comforts of where I live. The heavy stuff was out sourced. Every time I would roll it out of the garage stall, I would finish up what I was doing at that particular time and then wheel it back into its stall. And this is a small 23 X 19 ft garage that has a large C-Body sharing space. Now I can see where you are using the one stall to keep things related to your project so the only recourse is to leave it out front on the jack stands as you state. That being said...Really why are you not planning accordingly so as to not have this issue with whom ever has complained. And really the one complaining has no obligation to confront you about what they perceive to be an eye sore. Yes it is the neighborly thing to do I agree. So my take is really the logical aspect that if you cannot afford to do this project within a suitable space then do you really have the means to afford such a project at present? I know myself I would be a little bit peeved seeing a dismantled car on jack stands sitting out in front of say a neighbors home for an extending period of time. OK...a few days or a week or so I could deal with. But if it just sits for an extended period of time with no movement or progress being made then again I would have an issue with it. From your pic of the car it seems that you literally have just a shell with no means of putting wheels in it and then covering it up so it looks like a car that has to reside outside but still resembles a full car. Planning is the operative word as I see it and you haven't really planned the whole project out so as to avoid any ruffled feathers and concern from the neighbors. Tough situation I know but in the end sometimes one needs to accept the realities as they are, and then improvise, overcome, and then adapt so as to get the resto done and to alleviate any and all headaches. Just my take and I wish you good luck on the project and with the neighbors and your City...:thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:cr8crshr/Tuck

I empathize with your situation but I have to ask this...I have done 90% of all my resto work on my '66 Ply Satellite in the comforts of where I live. The heavy stuff was out sourced. Every time I would roll it out of the garage stall, I would finish up what I was doing at that particular time and then wheel it back into its stall. And this is a small 23 X 19 ft garage that has a large C-Body sharing space. Now I can see where you are using the one stall to keep things related to your project so the only recourse is to leave it out front on the jack stands as you state. That being said...Really why are you not planning accordingly so as to not have this issue with whom ever has complained. And really the one complaining has no obligation to confront you about what they perceive to be an eye sore. Yes it is the neighborly thing to do I agree. So my take is really the logical aspect that if you cannot afford to do this project within a suitable space then do you really have the means to afford such a project at present? I know myself I would be a little bit peeved seeing a dismantled car on jack stands sitting out in front of say a neighbors home for an extending period of time. OK...a few days or a week or so I could deal with. But if it just sits for an extended period of time with no movement or progress being made then again I would have an issue with it. From your pic of the car it seems that you literally have just a shell with no means of putting wheels in it and then covering it up so it looks like a car that has to reside outside but still resembles a full car. Planning is the operative word as I see it and you haven't really planned the whole project out so as to avoid any ruffled feathers and concern from the neighbors. Tough situation I know but in the end sometimes one needs to accept the realities as they are, and then improvise, overcome, and then adapt so as to get the resto done and to alleviate any and all headaches. Just my take and I wish you good luck on the project and with the neighbors and your City...:thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:cr8crshr/Tuck

Well if they would have asked I would have explained a few things like A) My wife was ill and needed to go to the hosp so some saved monies to move forward on the project were used and B) Im now need needing my own surgery and haven't been able to turn a wrench and as soon as I am healed Ill be moving forward with the next phase of the project. I could offer them an alternative as if I recovered it with a tarp would that make it less an eye sore to them if so I will invest in another tarp as the ones that had been on it had been destroyed by the sun and then the wind ripped them up so I had left it tarp less for a month while I waited for the weather to calm again. So its kind of like the old saying until you walk in another's shoes don't judge them or their property. I for myself agree with most of the ppl here I don't comment on my neighbors property unless it specifically intrudes on my property or makes my property hazardous.

Well if they would have asked I would have explained a few things like A) My wife was ill and needed to go to the hosp so some saved monies to move forward on the project were used and B) Im now need needing my own surgery and haven't been able to turn a wrench and as soon as I am healed Ill be moving forward with the next phase of the project. I could offer them an alternative as if I recovered it with a tarp would that make it less an eye sore to them if so I will invest in another tarp as the ones that had been on it had been destroyed by the sun and then the wind ripped them up so I had left it tarp less for a month while I waited for the weather to calm again. So its kind of like the old saying until you walk in another's shoes don't judge them or their property. I for myself agree with most of the ppl here I don't comment on my neighbors property unless it specifically intrudes on my property or makes my property hazardous.
Get one of those camouflaged tarps that way nobody will even know it's there.

Last edited:
Keep in mind there are laws involved....and the city stepped in....now you have to move the car inside. So be it.

You think you own your property but that is a dream in itself. Even if your house was paid off and if you don't pay taxes for a few years, watch what happens to it....So what do you really own? Sure you own that car but the laws put in place can and Will tell you what to do with an inoperable/non functioning car parked outside. This is why you educate oneself on the covenants/laws so you do not end up in situations like this.

Sure the proper thing would have been for the neighbor to confront you about this. However, in a non confrontational society that did not happen and if it did I do not think it would have gone well. Solely, based on your tarp answer above. That is not an adequate resolution.....

I for myself agree with most of the ppl here I don't comment on my neighbors property unless it specifically intrudes on my property or makes my property hazardous.
So then you don't care if your neighbors yard looks like this so your property value can tank, as well as looking at that $h!t day in and day out for months on end?
It works both ways my friend!
trasheap_450.jpg

73bird;
Perhaps speak to the City's code enforcement officer AND your neighbor to try to soften this issue.
Get some wheels on the car and perhaps a nice "Car Cover" from California Car Cover Company.
Have a beer with your neighbor, and try not to irritate him/her
After all, the appearance of a "Junker" in a font yard can and may hurt/de-value surrounding property values.
Just saying....
"super-bee_ski"
( There are 4 homes on our street, I own 3 of them....tee-hee-hee)

Some things are appropriate....and some aren't. We're all wired differently.

That sucks! People don't realize your neighbor is next in line to help you when your family might not be around. Don't be snobby a$$. I would like to say more but it's not worth the time. People like your neighbor will never change and there is nothing any of us could ever say to change their way of thinking. My neighbors are great, no fences dividing our yards the neighborhood kids use all the back yards as shortcuts (nothing sitting out gets stolen) and we mind our own business.

So then you don't care if your neighbors yard looks like this so your property value can tank, as well as looking at that $h!t day in and day out for months on end?
It works both ways my friend!
trasheap_450.jpg

Well its his house not mine. I get in my car and leave not look at my neighbors front yards. When I spend time outside i spend it in my back yard by my pool not staring at my neighbors house

Sure the proper thing would have been for the neighbor to confront you about this. However, in a non confrontational society that did not happen and if it did I do not think it would have gone well. Solely, based on your tarp answer above. That is not an adequate resolution.....

Ok i apologize but i dont understand what you are saying here? Im not an *** and if he would have spoken to me we could have come to a resolution on the situation and if the only way to make him happy would be to move it in I'd do it as soon as I recover from my upcoming surgery.

Auto Transport Service
Back