• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got me wondering...

sloinker

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
Someone was looking to source a push button TF-727 for a 383. He was directed to look for a 62-65 Big block transmission with the '65 being a slip yoke versus a B&T. I'm pretty sure the Poly 318 bolts up to all big block 62-67 TF-727's. The question is, does it? Is the Poly 318 considered a small block or big block?

Poly 318 has a small block pattern. With a HP rebuild, spacer and torque converter, and although it wasn't a push button that is what is behind the 6.1 Hemi in my 66.

I've got a first year 440 out of a Chrysler bolted up to a '64 poly block push button transmission as we speak.....?

Don't remember having any issues making them work together but its been a few years. Perhaps my memory is faulty. Drive train has been removed for some years for sloooow car resto.

The 318 Poly engine is an A series engine. The 440 is an RB series engine, not the same bolt pattern. You don’t have a transmission that was bolted to a 318 installed behind your 440. Not without an adapter. Sorry.

I will have to go out and see what is what. '66 BB TF had the same spline count as the '62-'65 TF but different than '67 -later BB TF's. '66 was the first year for the RB 440, I have this engine. I also have a 1966 BB TF that was with it and hooked up when I bought it. I have a '64 poly push button TF but the poly 318 is gone. I distinctly remember attaching the 440 to the PB TF and its original torque converter to drive the vehicle from one place to another. I have no shifter for the '66 TF on hand and I did drive the car about 1/2 mile with the 440. I will eventually look at all the parts involved and solve the mystery.

image_23920.jpg

Here's the story....I was living in Washington and in the process of restoring my '64 Fury in 2005 when I got recruited into my present job in Wyoming. Life then took over and the project has languished. The '64 started life as a push button auto with a 318 poly. I bought a console and cables and converted to a floor shift. I also got rid of the bench seat and bought some buckets out of a '65 Coronet. I came across the B440 and it's attached transmission through a thrifty nickel ad. The owner said the engine ran and the transmission worked and I asked around and felt that the engine would mate to the original cable shifted transmission. The company moved my household but I had to move my project myself. To get it on and off the trailer.I commenced to installing the new to me 440 and the original cable shift transmission. I then sat on a milk carton and used the emergency brake to stop and a gas can with rubber hose for the fuel tank and a piece of twine for the throttle. The car was pretty gutted. I got the car to Wyoming, parked it in my rental house garage for a year and drove it to its new home where I removed the drive train, such as it was. Here are pictures oh the B440 block and the transmission it was hooked to. Here is the cable shift original transmission from the '64. The poly is long gone. Take a look.

20200615_124604_resized.jpg 20200615_124634_resized.jpg 20200615_124701_resized.jpg 20200615_124712_resized.jpg 20200615_124724_resized.jpg 20200615_124731_resized.jpg 20200615_124742_resized.jpg 20200615_124749_resized.jpg

Newer trans on the left, pushbutton trans on the right. So it must have been an original Big Block car or someone changed it to a Big Block trans.

Give us a pic of the fender tag and first four digits on the vin.

I don't see how a 318 poly was ever associated with either of those transmissions.

Poly 318 for sure. I have pictures when I was removing it prior to resto. Still have the cast iron 4bbl intake off of it. Weird valve covers, distributor straigjt up in the back......I will post some pics soon.

In the 50 years I've been messing with Mopars, I've never seen a poly teen trans mate up with a B or an RB engine.....

I stand corrected. Just goes to show how our memories can be faulty. My wife reminded me that I had to go and acquire the transmission in the process of moving to accomplish the task of getting the car driveable. I went and got the transmission that originally went with the console shifter I had bought. I remember giving the small block cable torqueflite that was painted red to the neighbors dad....now. So everyone. You are all correct and I was wrong. Here are the promised pictures.

redstrip 015.jpg pumpkinpatch02 033a.jpg pumpkinpatch02 029a.jpg pumpkinpatch02 022a.jpg

I know this is a B body board but here's the E body I sold at the same time.

NODECAL 001.jpg NODECAL 002.jpg newpictest.jpg NODECAL 009.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back