• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got the '69 Charger out of the barn. Not good.

SteveSS

Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
I know the SE was doggy last year but I don't remember it falling flat on its face like now. Taking the air cleaner of and revving it it sounds fine. Driving on the road with a load on it it sounds terrible. Like it's missing bad. I know the SE has highway gears but this can't be right. Where do I start looking?

Does it still have points etc?

Is it loaded up from idling?

How old is the gas that is in it? I know that CA gas has a shelf life of just a few months. After that it loses octane and potency. If you can, siphon some of the gas out to inspect it. It should be clear, not cloudy at all. Even a few drops of water per gallon can make the car run bad.

Does it still have points etc?
Yes it has points. A funny thing we found out at the auto store. Almost all of the ignition system stuff is for 383 4 bbl.. We have 2 barrels or it was to start with. Can't find 383 2 bbl stuff anywhere. Even Rock Auto just has the 4 bbl stuff.

Could be plug wires if they are old, they give weak spark and retard the timing.

I have never heard that a bad spark plug wire retards timing. They may fire inconsistently, resulting in the engine RPMs not increasing. A spark plug wire cannot change the function of the distributor.

Yes it has points. A funny thing we found out at the auto store. Almost all of the ignition system stuff is for 383 4 bbl.. We have 2 barrels or it was to start with. Can't find 383 2 bbl stuff anywhere. Even Rock Auto just has the 4 bbl stuff.
Unless parts are for daul points four or two barrel is irrelevant. Only thing that would change would be sparkplugs and possibly air cleaner.

Bad wires will give poor performance. I've seen them bad enough where you couldn't even start the engine. Obviously the distributor timing did not change. But I believe the spark was late at the plugs. New wires and it ran fine.

Bad wires will give poor performance. I've seen them bad enough where you couldn't even start the engine. Obviously the distributor timing did not change. But I believe the spark was late at the plugs. New wires and it ran fine.
Electricity travels faster than moving parts.
Not enough current the plug doesnt fire no current plug doesnt fire. There is no delay. Bad plug and no fire. Grounding the plug and no fire doesnt mean the wire is no good. Best way to test plug wires is with an ohm meter or by the color of ark direct to a metal ground and not threw the plug. Bad spark plug wires will not delay spark plug fire.

maybe you accidentally put chevy gas in it?

Or worse......

bad-family-photos-peeing-in-gas-tank.jpg

Ok maybe I need an oscilloscope.
But these mechanical parts are moving pretty quickly:

At 2000 rpm, not even highway speed in most of our old cars.
Given 60 secs/2000 revolutions = .030 ( or 30 milliseconds) / revolution
.030/360 = 0.000083333 (83 microseconds) / degree of crankshaft rotation
So if the spark is even 1 millisecond late then it is 1000/83 = 12 degrees late.
Similarly if its 3 milliseconds late then its 36 degrees late.
So if your initial timing was set for 10 degrees before top dead center it would become 26 degrees after top dead center.
Try and set your timing to 26 degrees after top dead center and see what happens.
A few years ago I changed from a Mopar orange ignition box to an MSD street fire with no other changes.
I had to dial back the timing because the car was pre-detonating so badly.
I really didn't expect that.

Not loaded up from extended idling? Starting stored cars without driving is a killer. Did it run ok when parked.

Auto Transport Service
Back